Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A question for needle felters  (Read 1546 times)

HappyHippy

A question for needle felters
« on: October 06, 2016, 12:26:22 am »
I've finally succumbed to fleece and fibre  :innocent: and am doing a couple of decorative projects, I've got a funny feeling it might expand slightly!
I'm a bit lost with needle felting (still waiting for my starter kit to arrive so haven't been able to play  ;)) and wonder if some of you experienced folks can answer a question please - possibly the first of many....
Will I be able to needle felt an outline onto woven woollen fabric that would let me cut out the shape without the fabric fraying? Or does that sound more like a job for an embroidery machine?
Thanks  :)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Re: A question for needle felters
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 07:21:17 am »
Hi,
Depends what you want, if you want to cut out the felted shapes without a border, I would felt over the outline then cut it out and use the felting needle on the edge to "seal" it. If you are wanting the felted shape to have a border of material, you could either sew a zig zag edge around it, or cut it larger and hem it or you can get a spray that stops fraying, sorry I can't recall what it is called.
If you haven't got finger protectors in your kit I would highly recommend you get some, I have leather ones which are great, but if you stab at the felt too hard, the needle will still go through, but you just prick your finger rather than stab it.
Have fun, I'm sure you'll find it very enjoyable.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

HappyHippy

Re: A question for needle felters
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 08:17:37 am »
Thanks Sue  :-*
I do have finger protectors coming....... I got a fishing hook embedded in my thumb as a teenager (had to cut the eye off and twist it all the way through to remove it  :o) so I want to make sure I don't have a repeat of anything like that  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS