Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Autumn is finally here.......  (Read 2409 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Autumn is finally here.......
« on: October 01, 2016, 01:56:53 pm »
Autumn is finally here, I call it the start of the cold season really started it off with a nasty cold too.... However this is not what I have come here to talk about. October, gardeners will call, is the season for harvesting the last of summer fruits, setting the pumpkins out to ripen and harden up for storage against the winter. The things that I will be doing in prepping the garden for the coming new year  are, adding natural waste, manure and such, to the patches, weeding around the fruits bushes and mulching them. Pruning won't be until Nov-Dec due to warmish weather, but the mulch (thickly spread) should help to keep the weeds down and out until the weather starts to warm up again. The question I would very much like to ask is.... What plans have you for your gardens this month? Also what advice could you give about  planting/uprooting other things in the garden or what plants/bulbs we should be planting at this time, or is it a little early? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Autumn is finally here.......
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:28:27 pm »
Garlic if you grow it needs to be planted about this time. I have grown spring cabbage over the winter.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Autumn is finally here.......
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 10:53:38 pm »
A frost free NOV into Dec is the start of my gardening year .. all the plants that want to go to sleep are sleeping . I've  sow my overwintering onions ,  garlic & broad beans .  The spring cabbages & cauli have been planted out deep each plant has a pinch of beneficial fungi down the planting holes 
out & we are now starting to eat our winter carrots ......one per stew /casserole  .... nice rock hard 13 inch long x 2.5 inch thick ones .
Fresh leeks are also now on the menu only 40 or so to go . \The sprouts are starting to look good as well . I might give them a sprinkle of veg Growmore tomorrow ..... If I remember to .
 I'll also be sowing some cut & come again  salad leaf , get it germinated inside the house as plugs then set them out in larger containers as plug plants  in the glasshouse on the heated propagation bed under a micro fleece covering .  .
 COme new years day I'll be sowing onion & leek seeds
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS