Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: unconscious horse?  (Read 5520 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
unconscious horse?
« on: May 28, 2010, 08:57:56 pm »
Im enquiring for a friend...
yesterday her (fairly old) horse went out as usual, had access to lots of good grass etc

this morning, she (the horse!) was flat out on her side, huge solid belly and to all intents and purposes, unconscious.
my friend was even pulling her eyelids up, getting no response to this, or shouting

obviously, you have to be abit careful gettting too close to a poorly horse, so she went off to get help from husband and phone to call vet.

on their return, the horse was back on its feet!
she had to leave her to go to work & phoned husband several times through out the day to check, he reported the horse was fine.

The horse has not had any problems while they've had her, no laminitis or anything.

So could she have eaten something?
Reacted somehow to the numerous pollens/flowers/seed heads in the lush field?
Or could it be something sinister?

thanks
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: unconscious horse?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:25:55 pm »
Sounds to me like it was in a very deep sleep!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 09:35:49 pm »
Sounds to me like she was sparko!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 10:07:30 pm »
When I worked th the ILPH I had to bring a horse in and went into the field to find the horse flat out.  I talked to it, stroked it, poked it, put the head collar on and then had to sit there for about 10 mins until the horse came to.  It stood up, stretched and thern off we went back to the stables.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 11:12:43 pm »
Hi Miri, you're here?  Wiz was worried about you.

I think it might just have been sleeping too.  My old dog goes into a really deep sleep too sometimes.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:56:40 pm »
Its not just old horses that do it!!  Many a morning I have arrived at the field, to see a black body flat out on its own - all the others grazing over the field.  Heart thumping, I have run up the field, shouting pony's name. No response, stand over it, yell again (by this time convinced its dead, so whats the point in yelling?)  Suddenly eyes open, and it looks at me as if to say "stop your screeching!"  I think horses do go into a very deep sleep (a bit like me when its time to get up .....)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 11:07:10 am »
I had an old Shetland who used to put on his dead act as we called it, many a time I thought he was a goner. He lived until he was 30 and i am sure he knew just what he was doing  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 06:13:48 pm »
...phew, thats a relief then - I'll let her know its a horse thing!!
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 08:00:54 pm »
 :horse: ;D :horse:

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 09:24:40 pm »
umm sorry may be a bit inappropiate but this made me laugh. I have found the horse next door to us 'dead' 3 times. Flat out not appearing to be breathing. no response to me trying to rouse it, so I hot foot it up the field to the owners bungalow . When we come out the blasting thing is on its feet stretching. Now  if it happens I dont bother. I have told this horse that its like the boy that cries wolf and he will regret the fact that he has fooled me so often. In response he yawns leisurley, rolls his eyes and goes back to sleep.  :D
juliag

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 12:16:49 am »
Lol! That's why I said sparko julia. I've lost count of how many times I've been out to my old boy and he's just dead to the world.. He's not so good now so I'll pay more attention but upto now he's just been fast asleep !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS