Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Watery Chicken Poo  (Read 2285 times)

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
Watery Chicken Poo
« on: September 18, 2016, 04:06:51 pm »
Hi All,

I've got a chicken that seems to have very water poo. Its sometimes clear with brown flecks in it, and other times very white with the same brown bits.

Am I right in thinking its Clostridium? And if so, what is the likelihood of my other hens becoming ill?

I presume antibiotics are the only way to treat as its bacterial.

Thanks for your help as always!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Watery Chicken Poo
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 07:06:25 pm »
Not necessarily. How long has this been going on? If it's only since a day or so it might be nothing to worry about. What have they been eating? Is she under the weather at all?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 08:18:54 pm »
Is the chicken moulting, been chilled or bullied?  Is the coop clear of red mite?  Have you checked for lice?  Have they been wormed recently?

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:19:57 am »
Its been nearly a week now, and she is moulting yes. I've checked for red mite and lice, and worming was going to be my next port of call.

They've been having their normal layers pellets which is all as normal, and they have access to plenty of clean water, she seems ok in herself, although has separated herself from the flock, but I still wandering around the garden free ranging, eating from the feeder and drinking as normal. Its just this watery poo is everywhere!

I had thought maybe her immune system is just a bit knocked because of the amount of energy she's putting into moulting?

Maybe i'll get them wormed and go from there?  :fc:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:04:41 am »
worm and maybe try a tonic like OregoStim. I don't usually rate tonics but this really seems to pick them up-mine get it through moult.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 01:20:53 pm »
Yes, worm them first.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 09:58:17 am »
Is the coop in a sheltered spot?  Nights are getting chilly here and ours will be moved to places sheltered from east, west and north winds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS