Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crow problem  (Read 3137 times)

Whitehills

• Joined Sep 2015
Crow problem
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:26:39 pm »
Hello,

Looking for a bit of advice please. I've a really big problem with crows fowling in the livestocks water. Has anyone managed to overcome this with a clever solution? We've sheep and a couple of small Shetland cows and I can't think of a way that they could access the water but the crows not.

Am I right in thinking that you can shoot crows in Scotland and if so has anyone found tying dead ones to the fence to be effective in warding off others?

I'm currently lugging water around to them all in a water hog and water is in large buckets. It's becoming a heck of a chore when I'm having to empty and scrub them everyday though!

I've posted this in sheep and cattle to hopefully get a breadth of experience, I hope that's ok. Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Crow problem
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 03:34:08 pm »
Crows, or rooks and jackdaws?  Either way, I think most of us just let it be as far as the water goes.  Cattle especially will drink so much water, the troughs get replenished frequently throughout the day, which will clean the water.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Whitehills

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 03:45:17 pm »
Thanks Sally and thank you for the link in cattle. I'm useless at techy stuff.

Definitely crows and now you mention it we do have jackdaws. It's not rooks.

I was worried about them passing disease onto the livestock. Also they really are creating a heck of a mess on a daily basis.

You're right though, I was shocked by how much the two wee cows drink compared to the sheep!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 03:48:43 pm »
Well, I guess in theory they could be putting coccidiosis in the water.  Can't say we've ever experienced a problem through contaminated water troughs.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:10:33 pm »
You could get someone in to shoot them. Crows are very clever. Once they know they are in danger they often keep away.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 06:34:23 pm »
Yes you can shoot them. I've never found hanging up dead ones any use, but maybe if it's just water and not tasty food it might work?

Whitehills

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 09:45:43 am »
Thanks everyone. Hopefully if we manage to shoot a few they will all disappear like Sabrina said. I hate the mess they're making.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 10:57:03 am »
Can you hang old CDs or strips of tinfoil tied at the top in a sort of tassel from trees nearby?  They'll move and sparkle in the slightest breeze.   We used this to stop crows coming into the lambing shed. 

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 11:09:36 am »
Is this even a problem? We have jackdaws, rooks, crows and ravens around the water here, i can't imagine i'd want to shoot them cos they s**t in the water

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 11:56:00 am »
Could you find a different container / trough where they can't sit on the edges?  An old bath?
or, just trying to think of an idea where you make a small unit (?) Where you make a small low square 'pen', just bigger than the bucket, horizontal wood or something on top that would spin round when anything tried to perch on it, put the bucket in this square, not enough room between bucket and wood for crows to perch. Not very good at explaining that, and it was just an idea that came to mind. Probably too much work :-). Come to think of it  cows would probably think it's a new toy to bash about.  ;D. Thought id throw the idea in the pot anyway :-).

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 02:56:19 pm »
Wild birds can pass salmonella/listeria/bird TB through the water, but the latter doesn't harm in fact it may be good as an immunity to the real thing. The first 2 can be killers though, but it would depend on how mcuh of it they are consuming, also I would watch it if you're milking them and drinking the milk. Couldn't you get someone out to shoot them for you? The birds I mean ;D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Whitehills

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 12:23:57 pm »
Is this even a problem? We have jackdaws, rooks, crows and ravens around the water here, i can't imagine i'd want to shoot them cos they s**t in the water

I wouldn't be too bothered if it was only a little bit but it's a lot. As waterbuffalofarmer said it's the salmonella/listera issue that I was worried about and yes, we may think about milking the cows in the future.  I shall try the cd/flappy silver stuff to see if that makes a difference, I'm not sure my DIY skills are up to peninnehillbilly's spinny suggestion!! If not then I shall look into getting someone in or getting my gun licence.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 06:45:23 pm »
You can shoot them with an air rifle - can just buy this, no gun license (unless in Scotland after 2017).

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 03:49:46 pm »
A non FAC Air rifle is not up to dealing with crows, even if you’re dead eye dick and take head shots.  There is a cruelty element.

.22LR with suitable back stops or 12 gauge.  Get some-one in but make sure they are proficient and insured.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:22:28 am by EP90 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS