Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newspaper as a weed supressant  (Read 6534 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Newspaper as a weed supressant
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 08:17:22 pm »
we used plastic sheet or weed fabric, weighed down by soil or muck, making sure not to burn the new plants with fresh muck. survives the wind then.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 11:44:23 am »
Baz has been collecting big bale wrap.  He's rolled up the sides of the wrap to use as weed suppressant.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 08:35:29 pm »
Thanks all for the many suggestions/comments.  I'm not completely dissuaded from using wire pegs, but I shall try other means first.  I have a volunteer (my "Ex" who helped me do the planting) who is up for protecting our efforts:  she will be experimenting with the newspaper option and means of keeping it in place.  I'll let you know how she fares/what she comes up with!
(She has also reminded me that she has a roll of sileage wrapping up for grabs - maybe another option!)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:45:55 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 01:21:29 pm »
Update - toeing the corners into a spade slot works, but takes for ever.  Steel wire pegs it will have to be (I'll be careful to retrieve them all idc).  When willow crop allows, I will experiment with fresh, bent willow cuttings and potentially increase propogation rate at the same time (although they will need to be dug and transplanted along the way).  MIght also plant a plot of bamboo (with rhizome barrier) for the long term.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 10:01:42 am »
I've found the best time to take cuttings is in late Autumn.  Slant the bottom cut, so you know which end goes in the soil, poke them in two buds deep and wait for Spring.  Success rate is usually around 80%.  Bunnies don't generally bother with them.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 10:06:38 am »
I've found the best time to take cuttings is in late Autumn.  Slant the bottom cut, so you know which end goes in the soil, poke them in two buds deep and wait for Spring.  Success rate is usually around 80%.  Bunnies don't generally bother with them.

The bunnies decimated mine. Of a few hundred cuttings only a couple survived  :(
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 02:54:04 pm »
Deer cause problems round here, they love willow. how much snow dictates winter rabbit damage. 2/3 years ago we had drifts and they took the heads out of some small apple trees, and nearly killed the holly
Voles will also nibble round the Base.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 07:14:47 pm »
Delayed update: I have now used a combo of black silage wrap between willow rows with newspaper for the gaps along the rows, simply weighted down with a very bountiful supply of stones that ploughing and harrowing has eventually produced !!  The ground is sloping, so the rows will receive good run off of rain, but I've also punctured the wrap where each stone is placed to ensure inter-row penetration aswell.  The grass is resilient:  while the silage wrap is not totally opaque, I'm v surprised that it still looks like a buttoned mattress so many weeks later! 

I have rabbits and roe deer living on or frequenting my bit:  the bunnies were onto the willow cuttings in a flash.  Quick erection of rabbit netting simply staked with bamboo canes nipped that in the bud (pun intended).  As it is a very temporary arrangement, I merely strung 2 runs of fishing line above after experimenting with some fishing line 'barriers' across field openings and across the tops of stone walls where deer obviously cross.  Judging by the 'confused' hoof marks in the mud, they didn't like it one little bit (although a couple of attempts were obviously made to jump the 'invisible barriers' because the top line was broken a couple of times)!  So far, definately no rabbit and seemingly no deer intrusions into the fenced willow planting.   

Permanent rabbit/deer fencing to 5 acres is next 'project'.  Some fencing experimentation will be involved and a trial selection of components has been accumulated (including the Screwfix bundle of Tornado's premium rabbit netting - great price).  I'll report idc!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS