Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking eccentric  (Read 4402 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Looking eccentric
« on: September 19, 2016, 12:03:07 pm »
Well I suppose you have to be rich to be considered eccentric, otherwise you are just crazy.

Our neighbours have been...Privileged enough to witness a wide variety of strange goings on in our garden.

Late night watering by torch light.
Cleaning chickens feet in darkness
and last night working in the greenhouse until well after sunset.

Have your neighbours witnessed any strange antics in your garden lately?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Looking eccentric
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:01:28 pm »
Nope, but then we live about half a mile from ours, well nearly! They have in the fields though, once we used to be the talk of the village, they used to say oh them with the water buffalo  ::) ;D  The buffalo grunting all night (when in season) worse than cockerels! Just the usual you know?  :innocent: Otherwise I think people have gotten used to us, it has taken nearly 20 years though! :roflanim: :roflanim:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 02:03:28 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 04:31:13 pm »
Well I am known to do a nightly slug stomp.....as well as going down after dark and bundling roosters into my arms to bring them inside. Also, I think the fact I have four coops and over 30 hens in a mid-terrace house - even have 'farmgate' sales has people thinking I'm rather eccentric!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 05:09:43 pm »
I've been known to go and lock up hens in my PJs, come to that I've been known to let them out in my PJs too, with a fleece over it's just like 'odd leggings' really.. isn't it?  Or I might be digging ragwort in heavy gloves with a halter top, shorts and fake crocs in the summer, that might be perceived as odd but again it's just normal to me.  As is going to do some wee task I've remembered on my way to the car - like vaseline on a mare's udder outside my neighbour's kitchen window while wearing town clothes or fitflops, that kind of thing.  Have turned up to work with hay in my hair many times!

Couple of years ago I had a neighbour wake me up to go catch a straying tup at about 10-1030pm, which I duly did in PJs and wellies, climbing a stone wall to get him and then bundling him through the fence and not sure how to get myself back as the wall was higher the far side!  Scrambling about trying to get back up a too high wall in PJs and wellies when your fields lie along a main A road, when even at 10pm it was still reasonably light, might constitute eccentric I suppose.. 
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 07:07:55 pm »
Pah ! lightweights.
Holding a very long conversation with old Bert next door about tractors one sunny afternoon in nothing but my "bearskin" ;) , Bert came across the park so the dogs didn't hear him , same happened with the Hermes courier  I walked round the corner in my nightshirt... ( funny place to have a corner you ask )  to tell the dogs to shut up .
went to work wearing two different shoes, another time wearing slippers , they went down well at the quayside ! I went shopping after mucking out the horse to be told by the polish girl behind me " You smell horses "
Then there was the walk of shame at the piggery when I fell in the slurry channel and after stripping off getting hosed down by the bosses wife in the yard  :wave:  and going home in one of her , may be another day :excited:
Did I tell you about the time ..........................................
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:09:46 pm by Rupert the bear »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 12:15:18 am »
I have been known to sow seeds by torchlight. Likewise do the watering. It's not unknown for me to go out to feed the goats in my dressing gown either.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:50:54 am »
This all sounds normal to me.  Eccentric = putting on a skirt and some slap and going out in public.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 07:55:20 pm »
This all sounds normal to me.  Eccentric = putting on a skirt and some slap and going out in public.

Speak for your self duckie !!!!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 09:51:17 pm »
Now I'm worried, all this sounds normal behaviour to me, certainly done quite a bit similar stuff.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 07:32:02 am »
This reminds me of when my children were small and I'd walked them to school. One of the mothers looked at me and sighed, "I wish I were like you" I got ready to smirk a bit when she finished " And didn't care what I looked like"

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 11:09:36 am »
This reminds me of when my children were small and I'd walked them to school. One of the mothers looked at me and sighed, "I wish I were like you" I got ready to smirk a bit when she finished " And didn't care what I looked like"
LOL
Sometimes we have different priories in life.
Thank goodness  ;D

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 04:33:07 pm »
At the moment l am taking a poorly lamb round the field being supported with a hessian tesco bag cut down each side and used as a hammock to support her as she bimbles about.
Farmer down the road spotted me, came to investigate and just stood laughing shacking his head ????

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 06:46:32 pm »
well whatever works is best, I wouldn't let it faze you. It may well be that will save its life, believe me I have done weirder stuff than that. Some people would say that having a lamb under your coat, or even 3 was weird. That is what I usually do if there has been a hard birth with a ewe, or even popping coats over calves who are very cold, many's a time that, that has saved lives of animals :) Mind you some would say carting a newborn lamb or calf up to the house, or even a ewe needing treatment after lambing, in the wheelbarrow is weird. Whatever works for you. :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:22:59 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 01:06:59 am »
Of course there was always the time I went round with a poorly duckling tucked in my bra and wearing a toilet paper nappy.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 01:36:10 am »
Of course there was always the time I went round with a poorly duckling tucked in my bra and wearing a toilet paper nappy.
Nope, not new  ;) ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS