Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Did I kill the queen?  (Read 2836 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Did I kill the queen?
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:15:49 pm »
I got my first nuc at the weekend complete with queen cell (unsealed) and was advised to leave it a few days then to transfer the frames into my own broodbox and replace the solid floor with a ventilated one.

I did all of this this evening and was really careful when i moved the frame with the queen cell on it.  i didnt check to see if it was sealed yet, but it did certainly seem bigger/longer than it was at the weekend when i last saw it.

Anyhow, i was passing the hive a couple of hours later and at the entrance to the hive was a white larvae - not big enough yet to know it was a bee but certainly a bee larvae.  i just presumed the bees were doing some housekeeping while they were waiting for their new queen to emerge.

however now that i'm thinking about it a bit more, i'm wondering if it is possible that i've dislodged her when i was moving the frames and she's maybe fallen out (assuming the cell wasnt yet covered)?

what should i do?
Laura

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Did I kill the queen?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:35:19 pm »
Were there other bees in your hive broodbox before you put the Queen in?  They may have reacted badly to the intrusion? 

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:47:59 pm »
no, 3 frames were put in the broodbox from an existing hive so they should have been settled with each other i'd imagine

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:01:26 pm »
You cannot do anything right now.

Also queen cell is sealed on day 9, emerges on day 16 and then mates and starts to lay within about a month of emerging. I wouldn't disturb, but check for flying bees (pollen brought in?). If queen cell was not sealed when you got them, it should be by now, and you should wait so not disturb her when she might set off for /return from mating.

When you go into the hive and they have no queen - they will be quite badly tempered, so be prepared for stings! And then shout for help from local beekeepers!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:11:43 pm »
thanks anke,i was going to check today but it was too wet and i thought it would just wind them all up

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 07:53:34 pm »
still havent been able to check the hive cos when i am here, it is pouring with rain or else windy.  so i'm thinking that now isnt a good time to check the hive as the queen (if she's there) will be in asealed cell and i should leave well alone till she emerges?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS