Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for some help with trimming my sheeps  (Read 3321 times)

Luckyescape

• Joined Jun 2016
Looking for some help with trimming my sheeps
« on: September 17, 2016, 01:53:06 pm »
I have 3 sheep in need of trimming as I am a newer owner and have no clue as to how to sit them or trim ????.  I live in the Brentwood area of Essex if anyone can help ASAP as I have a limping one x

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Looking for some help with trimming my sheeps
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 05:04:33 pm »
Are you sure they need trimming? If they are fairly young sheep and run around outside they often do not need to be routinely trimmed. The limp could be due to scald or footrot or an injury. Have you tried sitting the sheep on its backside to have a look at the foot?

Luckyescape

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 06:52:34 pm »
Well the one with the limp has been checked and can't actually see anything wrong other then the hoof folding under so it's covering the sole.  Have trimmed that one as he is very friendly and blue sprayed it just in case.  I have a bad back and can't fight with my bigger girls ??

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 07:17:46 pm »
Tipping a sheep if you can't manage it is not good for you or the sheep. Have you got a sheep neighbour?

Luckyescape

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 08:36:03 pm »
That is why I want an experience person to help as I don't want to hurt us both.  I can't see any sheep in my area unfortunately Grrrr I do want to be show how to do things properly and was even looking at courses in the local college but isn't anything on other then breeding. I'm a pet owner not for breeding just using them as field companions

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 09:28:43 pm »
If you get them used to a halter and being tied up you could teach them to pick up a foot and have it treated, much like a goat or a horse. Sheep are quite quick to learn.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 05:21:45 am »
If the sheep is limping it must be in pain, if you have no one else to help you then it'll have to be the vet...

Hopefully someone on here is close enough though

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 11:04:23 am »
Definitely the best approach to want to go about things the right way.  There are various smallholder-run courses around - you would have to travel, and there's no guaranteeing the quality of what you will be taught, but worth going on anyway.
There are also numerous online gems of wisdom, you tube clips and professional advice, so spend some time learning as much as you can about your sheep.  People tend to think when they first get their pet sheep that because they are pets their care will be minimal, but that is not so.
It's not just foot care you will be able to find info on, but many other aspects of sheep care, including how to tip them, or not if you can't.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 08:25:22 am »
Ah, yes. Bad backs and tipping sheep don't go very well together. I know how frustrating it is when there are no other sheep people around to lend a hand. Your initial treatment of the limping lamb may do the trick, but if not, a call to the vet will probably be necessary.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS