Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spotinor, how soon after birth is it safe to use on lambs?  (Read 2209 times)

YorksG

• Joined Sep 2016
Spotinor, how soon after birth is it safe to use on lambs?
« on: September 17, 2016, 06:28:01 pm »
We have ended up with twin lambs in September, by cesarean, to a seven year old maiden ewe, courtesy of our neighbours  wandering tup! Lambs and ewe doing fine but there are a heck of a lot of flies. I've put spotinor on the ewe and I know they recommend a half dose for lambs under a month old, but I can't find anything annoy how old they need to be too use it. Hope that makes sense and that someone more knowledgeable than me can help!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Spotinor, how soon after birth is it safe to use on lambs?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 12:23:36 pm »
Depends which flies you are talking about           Blackflies  /midges / headflies  / keds / lice /ticks  then spotinor is fine but if as I suspect you are talking blowflies then it gives NO protection ( treatment for the above list anytime  I do 24hr old lambs all the time )           If you are wanting blowfly protection then      CROVECT  must be over 10KG          CLIK / CLIKZIN / VETRAZIN  no age or weight specs           Maybe look at BARRIER BLOWFLY REPEL

YorksG

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 01:41:32 pm »
Thank you so much for that. Looks like another trip to the suppliers! We only keep 3 once pet lamb ewes for their fleece and to cross graze with horses. Two lambed  in April and we had one live lamb out of four and a hefty vet bill then. The lambs are doing ok so far as is mum and we desperately want it to stay that way. This site was a very valuable resourcewhile we sat up in shifts for nearly a month waiting for these two, she was three weeks later than the vet thought!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 01:56:02 pm »
You have the same problem as all smallholders  in that you cannot buy tiny quantities of any of the mentioned products  ,so expensive and waste full . You can't buy small amounts from your vet ?? or a friendly farmer ??

YorksG

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:25:34 pm »
That is a good idea, I'll get in touch with the chap we got the ewes from and see if he can help. I really am still fuddled from the last month!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 02:32:58 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS