Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to make with rhubarb?  (Read 19309 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: What to make with rhubarb?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2010, 08:59:41 am »
Not seen either for years Fluffy, are they still about?Haven't seen Wally Gaitor either "Oh me Oh my"
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 09:24:18 am »
Just looted our plants and done this year's Rhubarb chutney. You can read about it here.

http://www.brixtonsbounty.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/rhubarb-chutney.html

:wave:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

aliceinwonderland

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Victoria, Australia
  • one day, i will live in my very own wonderland
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 03:39:15 am »
I made ridiculous amounts of rhubarb and ginger jam about two weeks ago, but strained half of it to make jelly. The jelly is AMAZING. Beautiful pink colour, and is perfect on roast lamb as a glaze, or just on toast. I've even been known to sneak to the fridge and have a teaspoon of it on it's own - it's that good.
planning to have: beef cattle, a house cow (or two), maybe some goats, definitely some hens and ducks, a lovely farm with rolling hills and a stream running through the back paddock, and a cottage covered with climbing roses and an old wood-fired stove.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 06:27:19 am »
I wonder if you can make a rhubarb chutney for curry. When ever I have a surplus of veg I always tend to think "curry".
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 08:20:55 am »
I've made something that resembles Brown sauce, it's all in the choice of spices you use. :&>

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 05:16:16 pm »
The jelly sounds amazing AIW...

This years' batch ended up a little sweeter than previous and I'm sure it will be excellent with curry.

I had a mango chutney recently with added nigella seeds - sometimes called "black cumin" and it was good. They have a very distinctive savoury flavour, used in nan bread.  :yum:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 08:52:36 pm »
Some great receipes here. Must try Olly's chutney.we made a Rhubarb and custard CAKE - mmm
Olly - are Niglella seeds tha same as onion seeds? I often throw onion seeds  into a potatoes and veg ( cauli, spinacj or whatever we have) curry and chuck insome chopped fresh tomatoes just before serving.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 08:54:04 am »
it's nearly finished now. Must make sure to get another harvest in this weekend. I've not decided yet what to make, probably a rhubarb cheesecake and jelly. the last one was with chery plums from the freezer and it turned out lovely, perfect for meats (or with peanut butter on toast according to the kids). I'm always thinking of making juice or wine but never get round to it! Next is the recurrants, I can see the first turning red  :yum: :&>

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 10:45:38 am »
Chutney!

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 05:05:39 pm »
Just made a Rhubarb Bakewell tart from the Tesco site it was great, especaially with custard.

Rob.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 10:44:44 am »
Hi MAK - nigella is sometimes called black onion seed, but I think this is a misnomer as you wouldn't get an onion, black or any other colour, if you sowed them!

I bet we are talking about the same thing though.
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 10:58:23 am »
no, it's not the same!
sometimes Nigella is also called black Sesame seed , which might be more like it. I think I grew it once and it's a rather lovley flower, too. you get Nigella seeds at Health food stores or even a Halal shop. I use it in bread, the flavour always reminds me of holidays in Turkey as a child  :D :&>

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2012, 12:24:50 pm »
I don't have time to cook my rhubarb just now but I cut and chop into pieces, cover in sugar and freeze in plastic containers. Works fine and when I want to make a crumble or pie I have the rhubarb ready to use. When I can I make rhubarb and ginger jam.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 01:28:23 pm »
Do you make large batches of crumbles and put them in the freezer? I do them in foil dishes and just pull one out at a time as and when. Crumble really freezes well, both cooked and uncooked.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 05:06:41 pm »
I,ve always liked a tart myself. Hot wet and sticky with a bitter sweet taste. Mmmmmm.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS