Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mixing goats with other livestock  (Read 3500 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Mixing goats with other livestock
« on: May 26, 2010, 02:12:24 pm »
Is it a problem to put the goats and chickens together?  I was thinking that maybe it would be a problem for worms in the ground. 

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Mixing goats with other livestock
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »
My goats are out with chickens, sheep, small pony, and llama.  If all are wormed, doubt there is a problem with this.  Not sure if goats can catch hen worms anyway or vice versa?  The hens would eat any worms they see anyway :D

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 04:21:05 pm »
Mine share a paddock with the turkeys. The problem is with feeding times. We had to build a large indoor aviary in the shed to lock the turks in at night so the goats did not eat their feed as the goats cannot eat poultry food. The turkeys also stay in an extra hour in the morning with their brekky while the goats are let out.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 04:34:10 pm »
Yes, feeding is a problem!!  The two goats in the field go mad for hen feed, and if they get their heads in the feeders its not easy to move them.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:51:09 pm »
Mine share with the geese - we just have to feed the geese where the goats can't get to it. They don't go in with the horses though as the youngsters sometimes think goat chasing is fun
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 07:01:57 pm »
what about the pigs - are they goat friendly?  the kids run like the wind when they see the pigs galloping over for their food!!

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 08:13:44 pm »
what about the pigs - are they goat friendly?  the kids run like the wind when they see the pigs galloping over for their food!!
and you dont want to get in the way  ;D
This did make me chuckle i can imagine my little lass running!  ;D or did you mean goat kids  ??? im laughing even more now at myself  ::)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 07:16:19 pm »
our boar has lived with goats all the time we've had him - we moved the gilts out at about 4-5 months old
he has his moments, chasing them, but is so lazy it never lasts long.   the toggie does stand him though when he's flat out!!
Little Blue

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 01:20:47 pm »
My gang share the land with hens, ducks, geese and ponies and lambs and we have no problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS