Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First planting of the year  (Read 2005 times)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
First planting of the year
« on: May 22, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »
With the state my back has been in so far this year, I haven't been able to do a damn thing in the garden. Grass got its first cut a few days ago (just a day before heavy rain, so good timing there) and this afternoon I've managed to plant some basil minette & red leaved, little gem & lollo rossa lettuce, spring onions, chives and oregano greek. Basically things I can plant in tubs and not need to prepare the ground first.

If I manage to prepare the ground over the next couple of weeks (or get some unsuspecting person to do it for me) do I still realistically have time to plant onion sets and leeks?

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: First planting of the year
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:05:42 pm »
The season is so late this year that someone told me it is ok to do things now that should have been done a month or so ago.  Good luck!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 10:57:31 am »
I hope it's not too late!  I have found a bag of onion sets that I missed out on planting, so am throwing them in today!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 03:03:38 pm »
Go for it, why not, I have still got onions and leeks to plant out, just waiting to see if I have any space left.  If you think it is getting too late by the time you are finished you can go for plug plants.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 03:28:16 pm »
me too - shallots going in today!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:22:59 pm »
Where I live the folk law is plant broad bean seed and shallots on the shortest day of the year and harvest your shallotts on the longest Your broad beans when ready around the last week in June.I dont think they will be up to much but what have you got to loose They will rot any way
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS