Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Matting for trailer floor?  (Read 3021 times)

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Matting for trailer floor?
« on: October 11, 2016, 10:29:50 am »
I use a converted 8X4 trailer for sheep movement, it struck me today how slippery the trailer floor was when soiled.  The floor is made from decking and I’m hoping someone can recommend a matting for better grip for the girls.  Straw etc is ok but still slides around so was hoping for some thing better but needs to be removable.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Matting for trailer floor?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 10:55:56 am »
I generally use straw and move the internal divider so they have just enough room to turn round in - they can fall over when they have too much room.  Don't forget you have to be able to hose out the trailer every time it's used for moving livestock.  When (you note I don't say "if") we have another disease outbreak like F&M in 2001 the standard of washdown required will be akin to an operating theatre.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 11:11:13 am »
I use stable matting..... the thick blue foam type, and I score it to give it more grip.. it is easy to take out and scrub after each use.... I still put straw on top.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 11:17:55 am »
Stick on some checker plate rubber matting or such like, something like this: http://www.rubbermattinguk.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=77 (I'm sure you can get it cheaper that this, i have in the past).

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 12:20:21 pm »
Or put some aluminium tread plate down ? Will make your trailer last a lot longer too, wooden floors never suited to being washed out often like we do with livestock trailers.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 01:22:31 pm »
I use a converted 8X4 trailer for sheep movement, it struck me today how slippery the trailer floor was when soiled.  The floor is made from decking and I’m hoping someone can recommend a matting for better grip for the girls.  Straw etc is ok but still slides around so was hoping for some thing better but needs to be removable.
I would use something like that rubber door mat:

If you get one cut to size of your trailer you can easily take it out for washing etc.

Btw can I use a standard trailer like the one below for transporting sheep? Obviously with a roof attached. Or does it need to be special certified trailer???
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:24:40 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 02:17:26 pm »
I think if taking to market or the abattoir they should be able to walk off the trailer, and have loading gates. Also ensure you're ok weight wise, not sure what payload those little trailers have? The grass rubber mats like pictured above I imagine can't be very comfortable for small sheep feet. I would put tread plate down as I mentioned above.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 02:28:40 pm »
That little trailer has 400kg load I think. I only want it to be used for max 3 sheep at the time so should be enough.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 06:21:33 pm »
Thanks for all the input which have given me some ideas to follow.  The trailer is only used twice a year for movement of 3 or 4 sheep, so removable matting looks the way to go.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS