Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Please Help - Sheep & Chicken Food & Down Larry  (Read 2324 times)

old_chapel_home_produce

• Joined Aug 2015
Please Help - Sheep & Chicken Food & Down Larry
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:14:07 am »
Hello all
i could rally do with some advice
2 days ago a couple of our larger sheep got in to our chicken layers pellets and them being greedy ate around 4KG between 3 of them
subsequently 2 of them became quite ill and wouldn't stand up
one of them (Doris) is now fine and is getting up but still doesn't seem to be eating the hay we have put her in with
but larry who is quite overweight anyway can no longer stand up
we have given them 3 courses of the bicarb in water injected into him and his wheezing seems to have be reduced but he is not drinking water or eating and he cant stand himself up
he is sitting correctly and is not on his side but i was wondering what i can do to get him to stand up and feed/drink
any help would be great
thank you

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Please Help - Sheep & Chicken Food & Down Larry
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 10:52:05 am »
I would syringe fluids into him and try, with another persons help to stand him up a few times a day and to hold him up. Keep well hydrated many times throughout the day with syringes of water. It may be worthwhile putting in a bit of honey and some cider vinegar, cider vinegar has electrolytes in which will help him to rehydrate. Apart from that it may be worthwhile talking to your vet? Hope this helps, I am sorry this has happened and I hope all turns out well!  :hug: Do keep us updated?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:13:16 am »
Is he pooing?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 11:38:39 am »
Speak to vet -  Vitamin B 1 inj
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 11:47:15 am »
I'd recommend vet - and urgently. This happened to one of our ewes last year. She was two weeks off having twin ewe lambs (we had a PM done), got into the chicken area and ate a load of pellets. i phoned the out of hours vet (not our normal one) and they said she might scour a bit but be fine (!). She wasn't. I went to check on her at 4 am and she was panting and lying down but no sign of scour or discharge, 8 am I called the vet out. By this time she'd started internally haemorraging and was bleeding through her rectum. It was acidosis - the vet gave her an alkaline drench but it was too late, she died an hour later with me beside her, and her twin ewe lambs with her. Heartbreaking - she was my favourite ewe as well.

If you're trying to correct the imbalance I should keep well away from anything with acid in it - it was the excess wheat/grain that caused the acid imbalance in her which basically burned through her insides. We watched the PM and the rumen had clear lumps of grain in from the pellets.

Sorry to be depressing, but if the out of hours vet had been more clued up we could have got her an alkaline drench 12 hours earlier and we might have saved her and her lambs.

old_chapel_home_produce

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 12:15:27 pm »
just an update
we gave him 2 x 10ml mixed bicarb syringe for the next 3 days and also syringed some water into him as he wasn't eating or drinking but was scouring which was a good size
however he wouldn't stand up
i figured it was because he hadn't eaten or drank for around 6 days so i syringed golden syrup into him to get his energy up and he absolutely loved it
i did this for the next 3 days and all of a sudden he was up and walking
i took him out of the poly tunnel on to the grass and within about 3 minutes he was eating and seemed so much happier and now is completely back to normal
thank you all for your help

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 03:46:28 pm »
 :relief:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS