Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you love and hate growing?  (Read 5771 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: What do you love and hate growing?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 12:31:16 pm »
The variety is called "robijn" it's a Dutch variety bred for cold climate.  As far as I understand it's actually an almond/peach hybrid.
Planted in January or February 2015! Only two seasons ago!
I can find details of the company I bought them from. Ordered it through ebay lol

I'm hoping for mulberry next year! I've seen mulberry trees for sale on Internet for about 40ish pounds but they were all tiny saplings...
Then I found a two metre tall mulberry tree still with juvenile leaves for £35 in my local garden centre!
Later in summer it started growing adult leaves (the heart shaped ones).
So hopefully next year we will have almonds, mulberries and maybe quince  :thumbsup:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 01:04:48 pm »
victoriananursery.co.uk/ is where I got my almond tree from. It died from what I think was a canker disease.

I got my mulberry from there too. I am hoping it does better

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 02:06:30 pm »
I only have one almond and no other trees from the same family (peaches etc) so hopefully there is nothing to spread canker from.didnt see any at the allotment next door either.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 06:02:30 pm »
As others, I love growing stuff I can eat, hate growing weeds.  :huff:

This year potatoes, sweetcorn, Squash and Tomatoes have all done well, but my brassicas have been under attack from slugs and they have won!
________
Caroline

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 08:35:03 am »
This is our first year and we've managed to do really well I think.  I have nothing to compare to but we seemed to have plenty of food on the table over the summer.
None of the spinach or corn salad I put in directly to the ground early October came up as we had a frost one night (yes in early October!) and I think that's knocked them all.
I've really enjoyed the whole experience this year but the most rewarding had to be the squash.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS