Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brecon Wool Marketing Board  (Read 3108 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Brecon Wool Marketing Board
« on: September 07, 2016, 09:32:29 am »
Had a lovely afternoon out yesterday with our spinners group at the Wool Board.

Fleece, from the worst to the best were laid out on a table for us to see and he talked us through each fleece. He then explained how the system works there, how much the men are expected to get through each day and the commercial buying process for fleece. Apparently 70% of our fleece goes to China.

Afterwards we were like children in a sweetie shop when we were able to choose fleece for ourselves.

We came away, a very happy bunch of ladies.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Brecon Wool Marketing Board
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 05:45:20 pm »
But did he tell you how little they pay for a decent fleece .... I pay shearer  more! 

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 07:11:29 pm »
So is that part of BWMB?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 07:20:42 pm »
Yes, Rosemary it is. All of the wool that goes to Brecon gets sorted and then is sent to Bradford where it is analysed for its micron count etc and then gets sold on.

Linda,
Yes, they pay very little and farmers who send in fleece with lots of straw etc get money deducted, We paid very little for the fleece that we got but I guess half a dozen fleece are like a drop in the ocean.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 10:41:57 pm »
we just get about enough to pay the shearer for our fleeces! [member=26580]Backinwellies[/member]  >:( I was talking to our shearers and they said that the wool marketing board are looking for any excuse to knock money off, whether it be wool with some dirt on, or whether it be (wait for it.....) a black fleece in a bag full of white fleeces, yes they have to be in seperate bags or you get penalised for it. Apparently Lleyn fleece gets a higher price than most, I think it comes in  around about  90-£1.00 something per fleece, as it is used for spinning and stuff, I think. Getting back to the original thread, sorry [member=8989]Bionic[/member] for diverting the subject. I had no idea that so much went to china, Britain was quite a big wool processing industry back in the day, some of the rarer breeds of today were the most popular for wool production. I remember seeing on a programme that they wash the fleeces in big machines in the factory to wash away all the lanolin before it is spun/processed, it also washes away the dirt too :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:46:14 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:59:37 pm »
A lot of tosh is talked by a lot of people about the BWMB !   :rant:

Yes they penalise you for putting coloured fleeces in with white.  Unadulterated white fetches more than white with some grey in it.  You can get repeatable dyeing only from dyeing on all white fibre.  If there are coloured fibres in there too, you get a very attractive marling or heathering effect, but the bale of wool so contaminated will not fetch as high a price as an all-white bale.

If you have coloured and white sheep, put the coloured fleeces in a different sack, then they can pay you the top price for the grade for your white fleeces.  If they are all in together, they have to downgrade the white fleeces because of the contamination with coloured fibres.

Our commercial sheep have particularly excellent fleeces and we usually average £3-£3.50 per fleece.  It can be hard to work out your price per fleece because of the way the Wool Board do the payments - each year you get an advance on the clip you submit plus the balance due on last year's clip.  They have to do it this way as they don't know what they can pay everyone until they've sold all the fleeces.

A few years back, the advance turned out to have been way too high because global wool prices crashed, so the next year the balance payments were very low.  And because there was a strong likelihood that the prices would remain low, the advance payment for the next year was also set low.  So in that year, a lot of farmers got a cheque that was risible, and often didn't cover the cost of shearling the sheep.  But the BWMB has worked hard since, developing markets for our national clip, and prices are much better now. 

I am, as you can probably tell, something of a champion for the BWMB ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 12:01:36 am »
I'm glad you enjoyed your day outing, Sally.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS