Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: killing Wiltshire shearlings  (Read 2445 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
killing Wiltshire shearlings
« on: September 04, 2016, 02:41:06 pm »
Can anyone give me an idea of how Wiltshire horn shearling wethers would kill out?  Are they fatty? Not sure how they would compare to a commercial lamb?

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: killing Wiltshire shearlings
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 03:29:28 pm »
We took 10 to the abattoir in June.  They were last years' lambs so just over a year and all were either wethers and ewe lambs although we had one entire ram who was surplus to requirements.  We got approx 21/22kg deadweight but about 30kg for the ram.  Carcasses were good (on the lean side) and smaller than the previous year owing to poorer Spring grass.  I sold most and kept the ram for us and have had nothing but positive feedback.  We are going to experiement not castrating next year and sending off earlier in the Autumn as we suspect that because of the Spring grass situation we would have been better off to send as lambs as opposed to hoggets. 
Helen

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:31:51 pm »
 i ve got a 14 month charallais  whether to go to slaughter in the next 3 weeks .
In terms of cooking can it be treat just as my 6 month old lambs would be?
Any thoughts welcome

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 01:20:15 pm »
I prefer the taste of hogget and don't find any difference in terms of cooking it.  I have even cooked various mutton joints quickly and had some very tasty mutton chops recently out of a 4 year old ewe.  I think that you just need to treat it with a bit more respect in the cooking process (as we did with a 10 year old cow). 
Helen

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 01:13:29 pm »
thanks Helen
I was hoping for that kind of encouragement.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 01:59:37 pm »
I would say go for it, always worth a try and if you don't find it satisfactory then you could always do something else next year. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS