Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is anyone going to Westmorland show - Sept 8?  (Read 2348 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Is anyone going to Westmorland show - Sept 8?
« on: September 03, 2016, 06:38:23 pm »
<<< http://www.westmorlandshow.co.uk/westmorland-county-show.html >>>

I really wish I was going - it's even got Cumberland and Westmorland traditional wrestling  ;D.  The whole show sounds as if it's truly based in agriculture. 
As well as judging on the day, they do whole farm judging, including farming for the environment, and my favourite - farm gardening.

One of us has to stay at home - dogs can't go - and Mr F is judging there  :( so I'm the home buddy.....
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Is anyone going to Westmorland show - Sept 8?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 10:34:35 pm »
Yes we are! Showing pigs and ducks!

It is a show that really does have agriculture at its core. Not only with the livestock sections but throughout the trade stand areas and the projects it supports throughout the year.

Is Mr FW judging sheep? It has a good sheep section.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 11:41:44 pm »
Yes he is, but he's also looking forward to a good nosy around.  Is there anything he really shouldn't miss?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:11:05 am »
I haven't seen a programme for this year so I don't know what displays there will be but as you noticed, they are hosting a world champion  Cumberland and Westmorland wrestling event! They have a local produce tent and local crafts. What a shame you can't make it.

Why can't the dogs come?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 08:57:24 pm »
[member=4333]Fleecewife[/member]  I hope Mr FW enjoyed his day despite the rain and mud! I really felt for the sheep exhibitors as it is an outdoor event.  :raining: :-[ :yuck: Yuck, yuck yuck!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 11:56:05 pm »
Yes, I got the impression there was a little light rain down there  :roflanim: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining:

Poor Mr F had gone down by motorbike to avoid the huge queues - which weren't there in the morning apparently as there were crashes on both carriageways of the M6 so everyone was delayed.  On the way home, he got away quickly but thought many cars and especially livestock trailers would have to be towed out by tractor, due to quagmires.  On the way home the rain was of biblical proportions so he was really really wet right through by the time he got back.  Think it's time for some new waterproofs.

He had a great time though.  Numbers in the Heb classes were good, and he knew most of those entering.  He was delighted that it was a Herdwick that won the interbreed as he loves them.
He kept trying to find the wrestling but whenever he went past the ring there was no-one about.
With such a long, wet journey home he didn't have much time for a good old look round the whole show but it's definitely on our list of shows to visit another year.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 07:18:27 am »
Yes lots of people needed towing back onto the field for loading! I know what you mean about new waterproofs - before the winter rains arrive :roflanim:

The wrestling was in front of the beer tent, which was beyond the sheep pens near the main office. He could enter next year! You could make him the costume with your own fleece!!!!

We were the same, didn't look around much but I hope you both are able to come back another (dry) year!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS