Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sow eaten to much unsoaked barley  (Read 4201 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Sow eaten to much unsoaked barley
« on: September 03, 2016, 09:09:36 pm »
Sow got out Tuesday got into shed into bag of rolled barley unsure how much she had (it's in a tote bag) she was fine day after an Thursday abit lethargic Friday down completely on her own in the ark surrounded by vomit. So moved her into shed alone rang vet they said it will pass just offer fresh water. Well today still no improvement any idea's? Not sure if relevant but was wormed on Sunday via injection same as always every 3/4 months

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Sow eaten to much unsoaked barley
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 09:44:45 pm »
I would get the vet out asap, it could become very serious and if there has been no improvment then def vet! Sorry can't offer more advice :hug: Hope all goes well and do keep us updated?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 10:57:51 pm »
In a worst case scenario it could be that the barley is beginning to ferment in her gut, this can potentially lead to gut torsion and worse case, death.
It could be that she's vomited enough that it won't come to that but I'd get the vet asap to check it out if she's still no better.
Is she eating, drinking and pooing normally?

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 10:37:05 am »
I rang the vet again this morning there coming this afternoon. She has had 2 runny poo's as I can see over night not really eating picked at bread doesn't want nothing else drinking plenty. The vomitting seems to have stopped this morning

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 10:47:52 am »
Try to get some veg oil or fruit juice into the water - won't do any harm and might help. Melon or sliced apple might tempt her.
Is she getting up or walking at all? That might also help (gets things moving)
Was there any sign of barley in her bowel movements?
What breed is she and where in the country are you - I'll send Reiki if you want.  :)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 11:38:17 am »
Tried her with all her favourite treats this morning she's not really getting up unless I move her. No barley in the poo so far which is making me think she may have eaten something else...she had Weaner's on her they were 7 weeks old I've taken them of her obviously but one of them died this morning too.....

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 04:34:24 pm »
Might the weaners have eaten some barley too?  I occasionally give my pigs a handful of barley as they come up to finishing but always soak it for at least 8 hours first.  She may have an impacted gut, in which case she certainly doesn't need any more food in her system.  She may also prolapse her anus due to the pressure on her digestive tract.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 05:17:09 pm »
I soak it for them when I feed it but cause they wernt supposed to have it.

I've taken all food away from her an just fresh water she is drinking plenty which is good I suppose. Vet is coming in the morning so hopefully that will get sorted after that

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 03:03:53 pm »
How's she doing?

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 06:41:55 pm »
She was PTS by the vet this morning unfortunately they said there wasn't much they could do if it hadn't shifted by now so it was the best option I think he said it was peritonitis

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 07:21:05 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear that.
 :hug:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 07:23:21 pm »
awwww am so sorry to hear about this, it just isn't fair is it? Sending big hugs to you :hug: :hug: :hug:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 07:26:30 pm »
Poor lass  :( and awful for you, especially considering that you phoned the vet at the beginning and they didn't come out to visit.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 08:21:51 pm »
Poor lass  :( and awful for you, especially considering that you phoned the vet at the beginning and they didn't come out to visit.

That's tough.  I think our vet would've come out asap in those circumstances but, in this case, I doubt there'd be much they could have done. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS