Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding pigs and avoiding gm  (Read 1749 times)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
feeding pigs and avoiding gm
« on: September 04, 2016, 01:18:50 am »
The NFU conference in the spring gave the game away re animal feed and gm soya. It horrified me that gm is in virtually all non organic animal feeds.

I'm pleased to see a Dutch company is looking at ways to provide alternative non gm protein. However, its got me looking at alternative feeds. Organic is too expensive. I've been looking at options such as sprouting and fermenting grains to increase feed utilisation and digestibility. Anyone doing or tried this?  Is there a price advantage selling pork from pigs that have not been fed gm.

Cheers

David

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: feeding pigs and avoiding gm
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 01:16:37 pm »
If it is in almost all non organic animal feed hasn't the train left the station? 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 04:37:01 pm »
Sometimes you just have to sigh and do your best to avoid such things but accept it may not be possible.

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 01:47:20 am »
Well there are obviously other ways to feed, not just proprietary feeds. Fermented and spouted grains look like an option. No one tried this?

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:37:32 am »
Things which continue to ferment in the gut can sometimes cause problems and grains are more likely to lead to excess fat if fed in large amounts. Add to that the need for mixing licence etc and I think it's far easier for most folk to buy bagged feed (we always did).
Google Newcastle document for lots of advice on alternative protein sources and advice on trace elements. Or get kunekune  ;) they're much less reliant on bagged feed as they'll graze.
HTH

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:55:11 am »
At time of writing, Newcastle document here linky
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS