Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you introduce your new birds ?  (Read 3069 times)

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
How do you introduce your new birds ?
« on: September 02, 2016, 08:30:05 am »
I always keep mine separate for two weeks before letting them mingle with the others, but I've seen a few keepers just wait a few days or not at all and just chuck them all in and let them get on with it.
I got three new pullets yesterday and am just wondering if I'm a bit over cautious with my introductions.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: How do you introduce your new birds ?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 08:47:41 am »
We used to spray them all with lavender at night- newbies and those in the coop. Then just put them in.

With experience we know that we were just lucky!

The two weeks is for two reasons Celli. First they get used to the sight and smell of each other. Second it acts as a quarantine period so if the newbies get sick or have lice/ mites they can be treated before being introduced.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 09:33:54 am »
I guess I have been ignorant and lucky.

Mine were just put into the coop at night, once the others had gone to bed, and they all trooped out the next morning together. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 10:52:52 am »
I do use the confinement as a chance to treat for mites, worms and give them a gut flora supplement.
One of the resident birds, my OAP freeloading Columbine has been having a go at one of the White Stars through the bars, the Columbine is the lowest ranking bird, so I guess it makes sense that she's protecting what little rank she has, it is a bit like your granny taking on a teenager hoodie lol.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 01:17:11 pm »
New birds were quarantined for at least three weeks, then put into a freshly bedded empty coop with a small existing group.  I use the past tense as we now run a closed flock, apart from an occasional new cockerel, which is quarantined then put in with a "sacrificial" old or crossbreed hen for another three weeks to see if he's carrying anything.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 01:27:01 pm »
I quarantined for 4 weeks for new birds-for their benefit and my existing birds although I won't buy in any more. As with MF, if I got a new cock in I'd stick an oldie in there for company.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 03:48:59 pm »
3 weeks???? Surely if you buy from a quality poultry supplier and you see the outfit and know how stringent they are then thats good enough.  Having somewhere to store 10 plus newbies is an issue for me.

I bought some from a neighbour who knows much more about poultry than me I'm happy to put them straight in.  I bought more yesterday again top notch stock put them straight in.

Depends on whether you have the time and the space.  If I was buying from a market (which I wouldnt) I would be more careful but 7 days should be enough.

Girls seem very happy today obv there is a pecking order and that will always exist. My girls have a massive space so no worries.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 04:41:09 pm »
If you use the same breeder every time then there shouldn't be too much to worry about.  The danger if you don't is that even if the flock looks healthy the breeder could be buying in from different flocks and the birds could be carrying a disease which they will shed when under stress, such as moulting or coming into lay for the first time.  If your existing birds are naïve they are very vulnerable.

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 05:06:22 pm »
Mine are all, barring my OAP , from the same supplier, would have had 7 if there hadn't been the dog attack yesterday, so 6 now, possibly 5 depending on what happens to the survivor ( if she makes it, her names going to be Gloria Gaynor lol ) all free range in a third of an acre garden but shut away at night.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 09:05:17 am »
We've always collected our new birds late afternoon, bring them back and lock them in the coop.  Then open coop at sunset for the other birds to go in.  In the morning, we keep a close eye on them.  In our experience a real difference is made if the birds have a lot of space to roam when they're out - so the new birds aren't treated as competition.  Generally a couple of days of hen pecking, but so far,  :fc:, no blood drawn!  We always buy from same dealer, so don't quarantine - that would be a bit of a challenge for us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS