Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for advice on the easiest way to start with home brewing  (Read 9753 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
We are doing our accounts and deciding there is no way we can carry on spending what we do on alcohol.  We are going to make a new resolution to only drink what we make ourselves so we need to get equipped and skilled very quickly.

Would love to hear any thoughts on  the easiest, cheapest, best way to do this.  We have fruit including plums and sloes.  We can grow anythi ng needed and we are not averse to buying in beer making ingredients - it has got to be a lot cheaper than bottles of red wine.

How shall we start?

thanks

BKeeper

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Isle of Man
Re: Looking for advice on the easiest way to start with home brewing
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:08:02 pm »
I have been home brewing for many years and have never been able to reliably produce a good red wine from "country" ingredients. Nowadays I just buy in a middle of the road 30 pint red wine kit (for example Rioja) the cost works out at about £1.50 a bottle.

Having said that however I do produce a very good sparkling wine of the champagne type.  I make this from rhubarb in the Spring and Summer and also from apples in the Autumn. The cost of this is about 0.40p per bottle.

This gives a very warm feeling when considering the cost of commercial fizzy wines!

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 10:21:35 pm »
Thankyou for that. We are not fixated on red wine. Will check out the kit you mention. Also,  we do have rhubarb in season...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 11:59:25 pm »
I can second the kit version - a good quality kit makes wine making very easy.  It's even cheaper if you can persuade family to give them to you for birthdays and Christmas  ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 07:54:52 am »
We make beer from kits with very acceptable results.

Have found the best bitter-type to come from Woodforde's: https://www.woodfordes.co.uk/

Have enjoyed the Wherry and Nelson's Revenge.

Best stout by far has been Munton's Gold Imperial Stout - fantastic results with this kit.

Works out at about 60p per pint not including equipment. We use swing top bottles, if you can find Grolsch on sale in bottles it's sometimes more economical to buy a load of that and re-use the bottles than buying new.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 08:42:25 am »
We made this Merlot kit from Wilko and were pleasantly surprised by the results. It gets significantly better after a few weeks sitting in the bottle though.

Has anybody made wine from supermarket grape juice?  I'm sure I read somewhere that it's possible, but I've never tried it.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 11:43:20 am »
Thank you.  These very specific recommendations are really helpful and give us somewhere to start.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 03:55:20 pm »
We made this Merlot kit from Wilko and were pleasantly surprised by the results. It gets significantly better after a few weeks sitting in the bottle though.

Has anybody made wine from supermarket grape juice?  I'm sure I read somewhere that it's possible, but I've never tried it.

Womble, I once had a home wine making book which had a chapter on what the author called "cheat wines" , made by supermarket juices (pure juices with no chemicals) They fermented out and were ready for drinking far more quickly than other "country wines" and were very good. This author, I wish I could remember his name or even the name of the book, only ever used sulphite for sterilising and used cold strong tea for tannin, a quarter teaspoon of marmite as a starter etc. no chemicals at all. I will try to remember, Heaven knows I used the book enough. OH! Winemaking the natural way!
So, the answer to your question is, yes you can use grape juice.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 08:49:51 am »
Dan- I did grab one for a penny,  plus £2.80 postage when it was mentioned here yesterday.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 08:53:16 am »
Excellent! I just got a copy too, we can compare results.  :)

Jas

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 08:01:54 pm »
Just ordered a copy  :thumbsup:
Also started some banana wine a week ago. The smells were great fermenting   Like banana bread.
Takes a LONG time to mature though!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 08:32:03 pm »
Takes a long time to clear too but the end result is worth the waiting.

Jas

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 08:49:26 pm »
I've noticed it's very  very cloudy and assumed it's because I squeezed every last drop from the pulp. Only making a gallon but probably will wish I'd made more as everyone says it's a great wine

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 10:32:35 pm »
Depends if you are after a grape wine or wine from different fruits. Country home brew  (as I call it) tastes nothing like red, white or rose wine to me but that suits me as I'm not keen on grape wines.

The country home brew has a different taste, more like alcoholic fruit juice, but I love it. Our basic recipe is 3lbs of fruit, 3lbs of sugar to make 1 gallon wine. We add water to make it make it up to a gallon and yeast but that's it.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS