Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maiden Milker!!  (Read 3316 times)

Aussie_Farm_Medic

• Joined Aug 2016
Maiden Milker!!
« on: August 29, 2016, 01:43:31 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I am about to purchase two does for milking. I have milked cows in the past and wanted to try goats this time. Both does are Anglo Nubian crosses. One doe is 4 years old (Anglo Nubian x Black Saanen) and she has never been put with a buck. However, she has been bagging up around spring time for the last two years. This will be the third year that she has produced milk without being in kid. The owner has not ever milked her but did get the vet out both times to check her. The vet said that it was hormonal and not uncommon and that it was a sign of good milking bloodlines. When the vet milked her he apparently got 1 liter (approximately 1 quart).
Since it is almost Spring here in Australia she is starting to bag up again.
I haven't seen her in person yet, but am going to look at her in five days time. What I'm wondering is, since she hasn't been milked the past two years could she/her udder be damaged/unhealthy? What can I do to bring her into milk (since she's doing it anyway) and does anyone have any tips for me?
Thank you all very much.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Maiden Milker!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 06:04:15 pm »
Unless she has had mastitis in the past I can see no reason why the udder should be damaged. Gentle milking and a good milking ration (dairy cattle feed rather than proprietary goat mixes - they do need Copper just like cows do) should encourage her milk production. I would however be careful about putting her in kid (or at least take some advice from people who have done it - I wouldn't ever put a maiden older than 3 in kid), she may take easily enough, but at her age her pelvis may be too rigid (as she is fully grown) to allow for an easy birth.

Aussie_Farm_Medic

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 01:39:40 am »
Hi Anke, thanks for your reply. I hadn't heard about the issue with the pelvis on older does. The owner said that she is a very large doe, she emphasized  that. Would the size of the doe alter the issue?
What other supplements do you guys feed your maiden milkers to increase their production? I've heard of fennel, fennugreek and dill. Anything other ideas? Thank you so much.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:10:57 pm »
Mine have Caprivite in their food and a mineral lick in their shed. You need the red one if you decide to buy one.

Aussie_Farm_Medic

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 11:26:07 pm »
Thank you Goatwoman, I shall have to look into it. I'm getting a bit excited about having a maiden milker.  :excited:
Are yours maiden milkers?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 08:38:23 am »
I had an Anglo- Nubian who was only ever a maiden milker! She was given to me as she refused to stand for the Billy even when apparently in season. All the years I had her, even when living with the Billy she wouldn't stand for him.( I refused to force a mating, I wouldn't have her raped) But still she gave between 1 and 3 pints a day, depending on the time of year so earned her bed and board. Also we loved her.

Aussie_Farm_Medic

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 12:42:52 pm »
That is interesting, devonlady. I have heard that is sometimes the case with maiden milkers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS