Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: male goats/kwikbeet  (Read 2620 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
male goats/kwikbeet
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:03:40 pm »
I was just reading back on some old posts and I think if I read it right, one of them said to avoid giving male goats beet? does this mean kwikbeet too? for risk of renal stones.. (bit worried as Reggie has been eating it..)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

chickenfeed

Re: male goats/kwikbeet
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:43:42 pm »
 ;)in over 40 + years i have never known mum feed her boys beet

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:43:45 pm »
I never give any of my males sugar beet and similar products.  Although, when the vet treated Abel our male, she said to give him sugar beet.  Did not seem to know that you are not supposed to.  Having said that, both Cain and Abel have stolen the ponies sugar beet a number of times!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:55:42 am »
read up in my Katie Thear book last night and she says to 'avoid' it due to the risk of stones. Reggie has muscled in on his mums feed bucket on the milk stand a couple of times but seems fine. will just make sure he drinks loads this week!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 01:57:38 pm »
My male sheep (wethers) have been eating sugarbeet shreds happily for the last year, soaked and mixed with sheep mix.... But the tup doesn't really like it. No stones or similar....

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:42:41 pm »
I never give sugarbeet to our boys. Male goats do seem to be a bit more prone to getting stones, than tups for instance, and I know of several males that have died of this. We had one ourselves, who did recover from his stone (much to our very pessimistic vet's surprise), but he did eventually have to be put to sleep a few months later as he never got back to full strength after it.

So I would definitely avoid feeding it. That said, Reggie may be able to cope with it and be fine, but it is a slight risk.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS