Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent transport  (Read 2084 times)

glosguy

• Joined Mar 2010
Urgent transport
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:21:52 am »
I am kind of running out of time now, I am starting on a very tight budget so can not afford much am looking for some generous soul that may collect my pigs with/for me. I am picking up 4 two from worcester and two from stroud, so both straight on the motorway, on the morning of the 26th June to  live in Tewkesbury. I will of course pay for petrol and maybe we can come to a deal for some meat or something when they go to that great butchery in the sky!!

Many Thanks

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Urgent transport
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:09:05 pm »
Glosguy,

If these are weaners, then you could pick them up in the back of a hatchback in a dog crate or similar.  Rules are that:
they must be contained - cardboard box not good unless very strong;
must be able to sit or stand at their choice - so room enough for your 4 or 6 if you are doing one journey;
adequately ventilated (again cardboard would need plenty of holes), wood box with decent size air holes would be fine, dog crate even better - just ensure they are getting lots of fresh air;
Must have straw to absorb wee and feaces;
I would also suggest that you put plastic under or the car will smell for sometime !
The container must be disinfected after the journey with approved disinfectant or burn't.

If you are travelling over 65km (from picking them up to delivery), then technically you would need to be qualified, but think you would be under this on these journeys.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:48:48 pm »
Hi

Thats how we bring our weaners home in the boot of car in a dog cage,we find it much easier, then this end can just carry cage in to the pen and let out alot less stress.

glosguy

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:33:27 pm »
OK thanks guys, so  any suggestions what  size dog crate I have a volvo  estate so  the car is not a problem and will  be picking up  two  at a time the GOS's will  be 9  weeks old and the large blacks will be 12 weeks old.

Thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:36:07 pm »
If you know anyone who shows or works their dogs they may lend you one.  Try the working gundog forum or working HPR forum.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS