Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new keeper  (Read 2388 times)

spikey_fridge

• Joined Mar 2010
  • stroud gloucestershire
new keeper
« on: May 23, 2010, 09:22:11 am »
hi
just a quickie
i picked up 5 chicks which were just off the heat lamp. they are doing well and i have let them out in this glorious sunshine.
how old does this make them roughly?
and also i have been putting them back in the coop but will they go in there themselves as it gets dark?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: new keeper
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:51:21 am »
at a guess about 5-6 weeks. they can still get chilled so watch them. they need to be penned and would be better with a cover over them. lots of things will want to eat them. you need to make sure they go in at night.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:56:40 am »
As well as making sure that they go back in - make sure nothing else can get in. Ie close the door behind them.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

spikey_fridge

• Joined Mar 2010
  • stroud gloucestershire
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 11:08:09 am »
hi thanks, yeah, i have a lockable coop and wired run with strong netting secured on top. its nice to see them out and about. they can get in and out by themselves, i was just wondering if instinct would make them go in at night time

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 11:19:05 am »
Yes, instinct will take them off to bed by themselves - eventually.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:34:10 am »
We find young poultry take ages to go to bed - they're still chooking about long after the hens have called it a day. Typical teenagers!

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 07:38:11 pm »
Agree with Rosemary - My Buff Orpies are all tucked up by 8pm, the black rocks on the other hand start partying around that time and I have to shoo them in about 10pm!

spikey_fridge

• Joined Mar 2010
  • stroud gloucestershire
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 09:07:33 pm »
good news! went to put them in but running around in circles so left them while i had a cheese toastie... looked out of the window and they had gone in. closed and locked up until the morning. i'm very impressed, hoping its not just a fluke tonight

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS