Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Docking leaves... Or is that leafs???  (Read 10997 times)

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
Docking leaves... Or is that leafs???
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:11:04 pm »
My girlfriends four acre field is being over run in parts with docking leaves and the three horses don't eat them... As a result it's restricting the grass growth which is already behind after our prolonged winter. I've weekilled and sectioned off one bit (horse friendly stuff) and told her
to either strim or dig out the rest before the
whole field is consumed.... Any suggested tools or
methods anyone knows of.... Much as I'd love to help her I'm busy working and
renovating the house... And I'm scared of horses!!

Thanks!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Docking leaves... Or is that leafs???
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 11:44:17 pm »
You will never dig them out , even an inch of root left in will grow into a new plant. Best to get proffessional advice and treatment. We got a farmer in to weed kill ours as our fields were full of weeds having been neglected for years before we moved here and it was worth every penny. Overgrazing the grass gives the weeds a rocket start as they grow faster than grass. We may have it done again this year as some plants are making a come back as some seeds lay dormant for ten years! and it is six years since we first weedkilled!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 12:03:42 am »
Roundup is what we used - sectioned a bit off at a time.  Once dry it's safe to let animals back on, but restrict the horses on other bits as they'll over eat what little grass is there.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:15:09 pm »
Thanks for the advice! Like I said I've sprayed a couple of hundred square metres last week with Round-up... So I'll see what it looks like next week and if it's doing the job I'll do some more! Had hoped that there was a secret tool or method someone could tell me.... But now it looks like it's down to me with my knapsack sprayer... Cos it's too heavy for her to carry!!! :-(

poor me!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:24:18 pm »
roundup is made by Monsanto ....enough said ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

Russ

ps:
      Just in case that wasn't enough ?, the following, is taken from the link given below.

"Monsano’s advertising campaigns have convinced many people that Roundup is safe, but the facts just don’t support this. Independent scientific studies have shown that Roundup is toxic to earthworms, beneficial insects, birds and mammals, plus it destroys the vegetation on which they depend for food and shelter. Although Monsanto claims that Roundup breaks down into harmless substances, it has been found to be extremely persistent, with residue absorbed by subsequent crops over a year after application. Roundup shows adverse effects in all standard categories of toxicological testing, including medium-term toxicity, long-term toxicity, genetic damage, effects on reproduction, and carcinogenicity.

Studies have shown that Roundup’s active ingredient, glyphosate, made bean plants more susceptible to disease, and reduces the growth of beneficial soil-dwelling mycorrhizal fungi. In rabbits exposed to glyphosate, sperm production was diminished by 50%, and caused genetic damage in the livers and kidneys of mice exposed to the herbicide. Monsano does not have to reveal the precise composition of Roundup.
(“Common Weed Killer (Roundup) Shows Evidence of Environmental and Health Problems,” Organic Gardening, July 2000 - in www.chem-tox.com - 2002) "

http://www.organicconsumers.org/monsanto/roundup.cfm

Don't forget that Monsanto gave the world Agent Orange too..

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:35:51 pm by RUSTYME »

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 01:56:54 pm »
I know there are certain grants that will not be paid if the croft uses round up for weed control.

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 04:25:14 pm »
You could try a selective weed killer like Vedone which kills the weeds and leaves the grass. It is about the same price as Roundup and can be used in a backpack sprayer. You can save money (at the cost of a bit more effort) by just spraying the weeds individually.

Alternatively,there is an alternative to Roundup called Glyfos. It's pretty similar in use and effect but a bit cheaper. Google glyfos to find suppliers like:-

http://www.stantonhope.com/Tools_26_Equipment_101390_Glyfos_%28comparable_to_Roundup%29.asp
http://www.headland-ag.co.uk/productview.php?doc=info&pid=56

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 01:03:04 pm »
That makes scary reading Rustyme, don't think I'll be using Roundup again

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 01:13:32 pm »
Please explain to me why Roundup cannot be used with a spot sprayer.The plot cannot have that many Docks in has it?Why has it got to be sprayed all over every thing in sight The stuff one buys in Garden Centers isn't very powerful any way.The way I used to do it Use a thistle spud then spot spray the root causing very little if any damage to the surrounding area.Its much better than Gramoxone the widely acclaimed defoliant It makes such a mess in my opinion ??? :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 10:18:34 am »
Sheep & chickens eat dock leaves - well mine do!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 11:17:04 am »
Sheep & chickens eat dock leaves - well mine do!
aye mine too, but they dont eat the stems or the roots, so the whole lot just grows back again as soon as you take them off it!

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 02:43:09 pm »
good point!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 04:03:56 pm »
Hello you lasses.In this part of Lincolnshire they are known as Docks and Dock leaves.An old cure for nettle stings Rub it and then hold on a dock leaf There you are Ive used both for you :D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 04:44:37 pm »
My boys are experts at soothing their stings from nettles with a dock leaf!  :)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 10:40:27 am »
Round up will kill the docks, but will do for the grass too.
Round up though does have a plus point in that it degrades on contact with the soil, so is not persistant.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS