Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this a good plan?!  (Read 3078 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Is this a good plan?!
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:41:09 pm »
We have about 3 acres at our new place which seems to have been topped by the previous owner and then left. We have some lovely grass thats gornw up but I obviously can't cut it for haylage due to the not so good bits underneath.

Someone has reccomended us getting a couple of beef cattle to graze the land ... let them have their time, then set the sheep on it and hopefully but the time it's then harrowed and fertilised, we might get some decent haylage off of it for the horses next winter.

We have plenty of paddocks to rotate but most are about and acre to an acre and a half ... how many cattle should I look for?

I'm keen for Ruby Reds as I know they're hardy enough to live out all year but am not sure on prices etc.

Our other option is that a friendly farmer we know would sell us some  beef bullocks (unsure of breed) and we would feed them up for the freezer.

What are your thoughts? Are bullocks or cows best for meat (I'd quite like to keep an old girl for breeding if all works out! :cow:

Re: Is this a good plan?!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 03:54:55 pm »
Hi,

See nobody has answered yet, so I will give you my thoughts....

Do your homework on cattle very thouroughly - they eat a LOT, I would suggest (I'm sure people will disagree here) of a stocking of one cow per acre of grass, unless you will be feeding them with cereals and concentrates as well - what will they eat in winter when the grass is not growing?

Work out your costs as best you can estimate them, then add on the slaughter and butchery charges local to where you are. Is your fencing up to keeping cattle contained?

Do you need to buy a crush for annual TB Testing? or will you hold them some other way ?

When you actually work it out you may be surprised how much it costs to fatten cattle.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:51:56 pm »
Thank you. We have 8 acres to rotate between cattle, sheep and rest. It's just this field that's been topped that I want to get cleared up as it's no good to me as haylage. Feed would be supplemented with hard feed and hay in the winter but I'm thinking we may be better off offering the grazing to a local farmer as then I presume all responsibility regarding TB testing and the like still falls to them ... or am I wrong here?!

I'd offer for 4-6 weeks of grazing and then put my sheep down to do the rest I think. (All this trouble just to get the right grazing for my horses!!) ::)

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:39:59 pm »
Hi,

The owner would be responsible for TB testing, depending where you are this could be upto every 4 years, but annually for a new herd.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 02:32:22 am »
I'd best get advertising then! :cow:

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 06:57:40 pm »
I have devons -  I buy them in when they are weaned off their mums at 9 months old.  They make the most wonderful beef, although my dexters weren't bad either.

I used to have a small suckler herd but it gets complicated these days with getting the bull in etc so decided on buying in steers and that suits us just fine. 8)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS