Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Animal skins  (Read 2766 times)

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
Animal skins
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:35:34 am »
Does anyone know where I can get deerskins, sheepskins etc tanned?
I used to send my skins to Carbisdale deer and lambskins in Ardgay but sadly Mr Alexander passed away last month and his wife is shutting the business down.
Are there any other companies in the UK providing this service that any of you know about?

Gordon.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Animal skins
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 01:04:17 am »
2 or 3 years ago I met a guy at the Royal Highland Show who tanned skins. He had a stall there- not sure if I can remember his name. My friend I was with did take his details. You could send your own skins to him to be done, as we were asking if he would do goat ones.

Let me see if I can find anything.

Beth

kalsi4654

• Joined May 2010
  • Pembrokeshire, West Wales
  • Solva Icelandics
    • Solva Sweet Itch Solutions and Solva Icelandic Horses
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:01:32 am »
Try googling Fenland Sheepskins. They are really helpful, and although they specialize in sheepskins (fairly obviously) I think they might help you out.

Or, failing all else, you can buy tanning solution and do it yourself if you only have a few to do.

Mic

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:21:01 pm »
Yes Fenland Sheepskins are brilliant. Axe Rd, Colley lane Ind Est, Bridgwater, Somerset.TA6 5LN. 01278 427 586.  Ask to speak to June Tinnion.  Their rsults are top class.  The chap from the Highland Show is I think Skyeskins, but he was only doing skins from his local area when I spoke with him.  Someone else for skins other than sheep is Nicki Port from I think Hereford, who tans organically - sorry I don't have her details but I'm sure you can google her.  She did us a deer skin once but it was hard work !  I tried doing moleskins myself one year, but the rats stole them. Can you imagine their beautiful moleskin lined nests  8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SimonD

• Joined May 2010
  • Exmoor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 12:30:27 pm »
Hi, not sure if this is helpful or not, but i do my own - it's pretty easy and very cheap.  Obviously if you're doing quantity, then it may not be practical, but i thought i'd offer.
The Self Sufficiency Bible - a great book for smallholders

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:03:09 pm »
Thanks for the answers, I'll give them all a try.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS