Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To Cut or Not to Cut  (Read 3013 times)

lyfoniq

• Joined May 2016
To Cut or Not to Cut
« on: August 08, 2016, 10:07:36 am »
Hi everyone

I recently bought a property with a 6 acre field.  My plan is to get some sheep on it next year once I’ve sorted the fencing.  My question is what to do with the field in the meantime.  As you can imagine, the grass is now very long and is leaning over.  I’m guessing it’s starting to die back after seeding?

I’m guessing it’s too late to hay, which would rule out the option of a farmer cutting it for free.  So my question is whether or not I should cut it?  I have a ride-on mower with a 4ft deck which can tackle the grass – I’ve already tried it on a patch.  6 acres is going to take me a very long time to mow; 12 hours at least, I would have thought?  I’m happy to do that, if that’s the advice.  I’ve just got this horrible feeling that I will look like a prize townie (which of course I am) trying to mow a 6 acre field with a small ride on.

I’ve no idea what happens to a field if you don’t cut it.  I’m guessing that the long grasses will eventually create a bed of thatch, which can’t be very good.  But there are other fields around mine that have been left, which makes me think that perhaps it is no bad thing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: To Cut or Not to Cut
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 11:59:42 am »
Offer it to someone with cattle, they'll eat the long grass. ( the cattle, not the someone!!)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 12:48:36 pm »
Offer it to someone with cattle, they'll eat the long grass. ( the cattle, not the someone!!)
soz [member=89885]devonlady[/member]  couldn't help it! :roflanim:  But yes totally agree the cattle will eat the long grass, then maybe after the cattle have been in you could top it or rent it out for some sheep to graze it, this will make the ground more fertile for better grass growth next year. Yes it will go wild if left, but only if left for a few years. I rented a field from someone a couple of years back, it had been wild for ages, 2 years grazing from the buffalo and then the sheep and it is one of the best fields I have renting. The cattle will be able to flatten the grass and eat it a until it is fairly sparce, after that it may need topping, depending on what it looks like. If you do rent out to cattle you will need some electric fencing, if the fencing is not good. Alternatively you could get someone in to top it for you and then you wouldn't have to do anything until next year. Its up to you, I hope you can get it sorted soon! Alternatively you could buy some water buffalo from me if you like, they love long grass and make a good job of any pasture :innocent:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 02:32:45 pm »
No reason why you shouldn't take your time over it with a ride on mower. After all 6 acres would have taken a few days with a horse or sythe.  Where a long flowing dress while you do it, especially if you are a chap, no one will dare comment.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 02:48:24 pm »

It sounds like it's not fenced, so it may not be suitable for cattle grazing either.

It may still be usable for hay or silage - not all stock wants, needs or can take early hay.  So I would ask around if anyone wants the standing crop, or would cut and bale it for you.  If no-one does, they can hardly then laugh at you for doing it yourself with your ride-on
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lyfoniq

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 04:02:35 pm »
Thanks everyone for responding so quickly.  The field is fenced and was previously used for cattle.  But the previous owners have not had cattle on the field for some years now.  I suspect the fencing is generally okay for cattle.  It’s partly wire and partly post-and-rail.  I’m guessing a determined sheep would have no difficulty escaping under the rails, which is why my original e-mail referred to sorting out the fencing.  There is also a public right of way through one of the neighbouring fields which people use to walk their dogs.  We’ve had dogs run under the fencing and chase muntjac through the field, so I would need to sort the fencing out to stop the dogs worrying the sheep.  Would dogs pose a problem for cattle?

As far as the grass is concerned, it sounds as if the best options are (1) find someone with cattle, (2) find someone who is happy to cut it for hay/silage, and (3) cut it myself, ideally with a long flowing dress.  I appreciate that the field will only go wild if left for a few years.  My fear is that the previous owners may already have left it for a few years.  I suspect I will be digging out the dress this weekend.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 04:18:36 pm »
Would dogs pose a problem for cattle?

More likely the reverse ;)   But if the fence is possibly a bit dodgy, having bullocks hightailing it into the fence chasing after a routed dog is probably not ideal...

...  cut it myself, ideally with a long flowing dress.  ....  I suspect I will be digging out the dress this weekend.

We want pictures!  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 05:55:13 pm »
We've had hay made in Sept, quite usable, depends on location I suppose, electric fence should keep cattle in, well it did with dairy herd, might be different for crazy 'teenagers'.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 06:31:58 pm »
It's definitly not to late to cut for hay....we have some down now. I'd offer to farmer as he may bale and wrap it anyhow

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 07:06:41 pm »
We've let uncut fields for overwintering sheep in the past. Standing hay crop, low nutritional value, but poked through the the snow and by the time the new grass came in spring, field and sheep looked tidy. If you know you're going to fence it, maybe do it ASAP and see if someone wants it come December/January?

Sounds like a few cattle or for someone for hay might be easiest - might make useful friend/contact too  :farmer:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 04:49:16 pm »
It depends on if you want your ride on mower to work next year - cos topping a field with something thats supposed to just mow a garden is a big ask.

Just dont push the machinery - if the belts start smelling and the bearings start getting hot - it time to stop, roll a fag or just admire the scenery then start her up again.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 04:50:29 pm »
Prob be esier to let it die back and chain harrowe the hell out oif it before spring next year

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 10:09:03 pm »
 If you want any grass worth eating next year, you ideally want to get rid of this year's growth to give the grass a chance to produce new growth. To top a heavy crop and leave it on the ground to rot will probablyy smother a lot of your remaining grass.
 If it were me I would offer it free of charge for cutting or grazing to a neighbouring farmer. That way, hopefully it will be worth someone's while to get rid of the existing grass for you; thereby saving yourself many happy hours in your best dress while operating your ride on, and it will ensure you have some nice fresh nourishing new grass for your sheep next year.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS