Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: And they tell us a New Era in Politics!  (Read 1472 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
And they tell us a New Era in Politics!
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:55:03 am »
This is in the news this morning, why in gods name is so much property needed for the "Top dogs" of governement, what a waste of tax payers money! The Foreign Secretary needs 115 rooms in his country house and 1000 acres, are we getting value for money? Surely they could do all entertaining in Buckingham Palace which is large enough, central and already staffed and secure? And here we are promised a new generation of politician, aye right. :o

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Foreign Secretary William Hague will have to share an official country residence, Downing Street has said.

The Lib Dem and the Tory, brought together in the coalition government, will each live part-time at the 3,500-acre Chevening House estate, in Kent.

Meanwhile, David Cameron retains the traditional prime minister's residence of Chequers, Buckinghamshire.

And Chancellor George Osborne will have use of Dorneywood, in the same county.

The official residences, which are not owned by the government but held in trust, are for personal use and to host visiting dignitaries.

At the weekend, Mr Cameron held talks at Chequers with Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

Personal space

Prime ministers Tony Blair and Gordon Brown often used the 17th-century house for dinner parties, with celebrities including DJ Chris Evans, footballer David Beckham and author JK Rowling attending.

Mr Cameron and his family will mainly visit the 1,000-acre estate at weekends.

Mr Hague and Mr Clegg are unlikely to spend much time together at Chevening House, although the 115-room main house would be more than large enough.

The two men, who sit side by side at the cabinet table, are expected to use the property on alternate weekends, with Mr Hague's duties meaning he has to travel abroad frequently.

Dorneywood, to be used by the chancellor, was built in 1920, and came to public notice recently when former Deputy Prime Minister was photographed playing croquet there with aides.

A Downing Street spokesman said: "We can confirm that the chancellor of the exchequer will use Dorneywood and both the foreign secretary and the deputy prime minister will have use of Chevening.

"Successive governments have used official residences for government business such as key meetings and hosting international leaders."

No new resident has been named for the much-desired government flat in Admiralty Arch, central London.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: And they tell us a New Era in Politics!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:25:23 am »
Hello James On another site I shared my ideas which are one.
Use a site WE own in central London knock down what ever is on it.Now build a secure block of flats to house all the MP's.Nicely furnish them and service them as an hotel.If you are a salesman say you work away you stay in a hotel .MP's are allegedly working,they are paid enough,this facility is provided free with the job.If they own 10 country houses and 5 town houses I don't care.BUT they get not a penny toward the upkeep or running of the said propertiesfrom the public purseThey may even live in them and not use the FLAT but they cannot let it out it is for their sole use .If they want Mam and the kids in town, put them up in a hotel like you or I would have to.The new building is to be within walking distance of the Commons.If they want to ride get a bus they are promoting public transport let them lead the way by showing us how.If we are allegedly in the House we SHALL commence duties at 9:00am like you or I have to if we are office workers Salaried workers do not get paid overtime I bet work would be done in the day only on very rare occasions would they burn the midnight oil.
2 A Return travel pass from their constituency to the house be provided every week Non Redeemable if not used.
3 Be fed and wattered in the House if its not good enough go and eat out at their own expense.
4 Official entertaining organized by a entertainment department who will ensure the level is in keeping with the guest/s
Lets save a billion or 2 :o ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS