Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buffalo  (Read 6798 times)

Teresa

Buffalo
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:49:19 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with Buffalos? I'm contemplating them but want some more info on space they need, temperment, herd size to keep them happy etc. Where can i get more information or go see them? Any info greatly appreciated :wave:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:32:13 pm »
saw something on countryfile, weekend before the one just gone (!) about buffalo... maybe checkout the bbc for more info / contact?

I'd imagine lots of space needed so they can 'migrate' or whatever the word is, and they wont be very tame...
Little Blue

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 08:37:24 pm »
I beleive there is a herd of Buffalo (Bison) at Drumtochty Castle near Stonehaven in Aberdeenshire.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 09:31:21 pm »
Folk milk them so they must be reasonably tame, surely

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:33:31 pm »
I eat Buffalo, and have seen them in fields  ;D  ;D

from what i saw  the animals were placid, plodding round a HUGE field, but then there was something like 100/150 together.
But don't be fooled by their laid back look, out in the the wilds of Africa more people are killed by buffalo than any other animal or snake, once angered they stop at nothing, easily weighing as much as a car they can kill you and then come back and kill you again.

on the up side, they are very very tastey  ;D  :cow: X2tonnes

grimmauld

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:09:08 pm »
I assume by buffalo you mean the asiatic water buffalo. I don't think anyone has ever managed to farm the african variety. The kind you're after are common in italy (mozzarella) and romania very placid need to be led rather than driven, can be looked after by children really, are fairly easy to keep, in a lot of countries they are kept in a stable with limited space and fodder brought to them. They're good converters of rough feed into meat or milk and the meat has a low cholesterol level. Hope this helps

Teresa

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 07:20:01 pm »
I ve tried buffalo milk and meat which are both delicious ;D Thanks for all the info so far!

grimmauld

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 09:40:45 am »
I found a contact for you,
Peak Buffalo
Nether Rod Knowle Farm, Eastmoor, Chesterfield, Derbyshire S42 7DB
Tel: 01246 566151
Mobile: 07890 433674
Web: www.farmhousepantry.co.uk
EMail: enquiries@farmhousepantry.co.uk
Grid ref: SK304702

The Gills run a herd of water buffalo, and sell water buffalo steaks, burgers and sausages through their own farm shop and at a number of local Farmers’ Markets. Nether Rod Knowle Farm is one of the best sites in Derbyshire for lapwing and has been entered for RSPB’s 2007 Lapwing Champion award. 

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 09:27:38 pm »
Puddledub Buffalo

Newcottoun
Clentrie Farm
Auchtertool
KY3 5XG

Email steve@puddledubbuffalo.co.uk

Tel 01592 780087
Mobile 07789865575

Shop Tel / Fax: No: 01333 351245

hears another

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 09:43:54 pm »
On the Countryfile snippet they mentioned needing a wild animal licence.....

Teresa

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 05:29:49 pm »
Just found there's someone in Chalfont st Peter which isn't far from me called Flexmore Farm and they have buffalo and are open on Wednesdays to public for meat etc so im going to bend their ears and see if i can take a look at theirs ;D

Rhodie

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 09:32:52 pm »
Anybody wanting to see Water Buffalo in Hants can contact me, same goes for Wild Boar, I can give a tour and answer any queries.
There was a program to tame African Buffalo and Eland in the tsetse fly areas instead of trying to keep cattle and goats with large scale losses to tripanosomiasis. The Buff were surprisingly manageable compared to my experience hunting the wild ones.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS