Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Netting plants  (Read 8777 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Netting plants
« on: May 18, 2010, 03:03:27 pm »
Hi

A daft question I am sure, but which plants do you protect from animals - obviously the salad needs covering, but I am stood outside today trying to work out how to get the netting to cover it all, and it occurred to me I probably dont need to protect onions, shallots, garlics etc from rabbits?

What about peas and brassicas?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Netting plants
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 04:48:00 pm »
Animals are a pest but pigeons are worse at this time of year The peck the middle out of the emerging plant and play hell with the peas and the likes.This is why you hear those awful bangs when you are out in the country this time of the year It is caused by Thunder Guns attempting to scare off the pigeons hopefully  ??? :o :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:35:16 pm »
keep finding pigeons and doves sat by my pea and bean area  ::) hopefully the guns you mention George will work here as the farmer next to us as them (scared the life out of me when we first moved here!!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:47:31 pm »
The earlier ones worked with carbide and a water drip and I had to go and fix them if they stopped banging The boy then about 8 had to come and he ran up to one charged ready to fire and he grabbed it of course this let the trip go spark bang He was deaf for a month we were terribly worried in fear of permanant damage.He still came but he treated them with a lot more respect after that Modern ones work with Propane gas and are much more reliable.They still make your ears ring though if you approach it and it goes off unexpectedly ;D ;D ;D :wave: :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:58:36 pm »
I'm netting my cabbage family from the cabbage white, hoping to cage in the currants against the air rats (blackbirds) before they turn red. we do have pigeons but they never bother me or my veg! Honestly! Not much you can do if you have bunnies other than getting a dog or a large cat...Netting against slugs is not available yet or I would get it  ::)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 06:51:33 am »
N F D As far as I can find out the only real cure for slugs is agricultural quality Slug Pellets.The ones sold in Garden Centers seems to be icing on the cake for the slugs, after they have spoilt all your plants to me ??? :farmer:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 10:21:21 am »
I find that until the onions have got decent roots - some are pulled out by birds but usually left and then I have to replant them!  Pigeons are my second worst enemy after rabbits and my third worst which is mice.  It's like a war zone out there!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:09:24 am »
Hello greenlife Tell me about it You may have read my posts and know I garden in boxes.Slugs are my worst enemy here Mice run out of puff quite easily they love that blue wheat but it disagrees with their indigestion some how ;D My next door pal Roy lives in the end house has some garden do you know the bluddi pigeons pecked every pea shoot off.Then started on the brassicas We daren't use a 22 the other side feeds the sods inticing them. ??? :farmer:

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 01:40:25 pm »
Heres a simple bird scarer made from a plastic drinks bottle they work quite well and with a bit of artistic licence can be turned into whatever colour you like, I also use CDs on a bit of string on a stick, usually get these from the supermarkets on the free internet things or other free samples  ::)  gardenspace.newarchaeology.com/bird-scarer.php

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 01:46:15 pm »
That looks brilliant clumbaboy!  I am off to raid my recycling bin as I type...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 01:46:35 pm »
wizard, my ducks would not love me anymore if i start poisoning the slugs! I have to keep gathering them before they attack my veg  ::) :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 01:52:04 pm »
cd bird scarers did not work here, I think they do need the sun to reflect in them and last 2 years there wasn't any sun  >:( Maybe I should try again as I don't see a cage  materializing before the berries ripen and we are to get a lot of sun now, aren't we??

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 09:12:44 pm »
Wizard if you bought some copper tape from an electricians supplies type place eg Screwfix and put it round the top of the boxes that would keep the slugs away! The stuff you buy from gardening places is horrendously expensive but it is just the same.

I never see pigeons round my way and very few birds make it into or out of our garden alive (3 cats) - my problem is the chickens who have eaten half my peas and all my rocket! My veg is all in raised beds. So I have made a kind of cage arrangement to surround each bed, made of thin lengths of wood scrounged from a local timber merchants stuck into each corner, with 1m height netting attached using a staple gun. (Cheapie netting from Lidl) Cats are disgusted their "litter trays" are no longer available to them! Hopefully the chickens wandering between the beds will eat the slugs.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 08:14:18 am »
Not heard or seen that vair thanks I shall try it round a couple for experiment see what happens and report.No NFD I haven't had much success with cd's either  ??? :D :farmer:

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 11:54:23 pm »
I managed to 'womble' 6 old Herris fencing panels and a bit of green Scaffold netting which were put together with cable ties and wrapped round with the netting.  I then used pond netting over the top held up with bottles on 8ft canes - hey presto - 1 fruit cage!!! 

More brownie points from the bank of wife. ;D ;D ;D
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS