Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: constant scratching  (Read 1904 times)

Rusal

• Joined Sep 2014
constant scratching
« on: August 17, 2016, 06:50:26 pm »
One of my ewes rubbed her throat on a gate until it caused an open wound. I treated it and she appeared to get better but has now started to scratch the same spot on her throat with her back feet. She has now scratched it until the skin is broken.

I have had a good look and there appears to be no underlying cause. I have treated it with anti septic and a sulphur ointment but every time I stop treating she starts again.

It is only the one spot that she scratches.

Any ideas what it might be or how to treat/prevent the problem?

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: constant scratching
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 07:07:30 pm »
get the vet to do a skin scraping - it could be lice or it could be scab, either well spread to the whole flock.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Louise P

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:17:59 pm »
Could there be something in her throat?
Or could the midges be honing in on that area as it has no wool cover so it's making her itch?
Just ideas x

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:45:58 pm »
Cover the wound with Stockholm tar , every time a fly lands and bites she scratches and makes it raw which attracts more flies so more scratching and it keeps going

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:34:47 pm »
Try some itch stop salve from nettex. Fantastic stuff - stopped my horse rubbing his belly raw and I tried lots of other things for him before trying this. He used to constantly tub his belly along the floor until it bled but since using this salve he no longer scratches and his hair has grown back.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 08:28:20 am »
If the ewe starts scratching whenever you stop treating then you need to keep treating long enough for the skin to heal. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS