Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ram handling  (Read 2950 times)

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
ram handling
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:46:18 am »
Hi everyone

I need to worm my wee flock of hebrideans but I must admit I am a bit intimidated by my ram Errol and his huge horns.  I wondered if it would be ok to mix his dose in with feed, maybe sugar beet and give it to him.

Any clever ideas for administering medicines without handling would be greatly appreciated.  Also does anyone know how long to leave between worming and liver fluking.

Anna

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: ram handling
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:47:16 pm »
If you want to do both go for something like combinex which does them both at the same time.  As for the ram - the only real advise I can give, is show no weakness and just get a hold and treat him.  If you are assertive they normally back down.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:54:25 pm »
how does he behave ours is very soft. just as well he has some really nice horns.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:33:32 pm »
I usually just grab my shetland tup by his horns, as I am offering some sheep mix in a bucket. Also easy to get him into smaller area made by hurdles, and then grab the horns. One reason for keeping Shetlands is that I can handle them myself easily.

I always make sure that I don't kneel down in front of him and no turn my back to him either, he is tame and comes for food but not for cuddles! Haven't been butted (yet)...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:58:54 pm »
I agree that you mustn't let a tup dominate you but if you are small or not particularly strong, you still have to handle them.  Try driving him into a pen of preferably 4 ft hurdles then decrease the size down to just three in a tight triangle; he can't go anywhere much or take a run at you.  Whilst leaning in from outside the hurdles, reverse him into a corner, lift his chin with one hand and squirt the wormer liquid into the side of his mouth with the other. Handling a tup by the horns makes him resist, lifting his chin relaxes him.  Trying to catch a strong tup by the horns out in the open field if your hands are not strong enough to hold him firmly is asking for an injury.  How have you been doing his feet?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 04:51:23 pm »
Hi Fleecewife and all who replied

Have only had the tup about 6 months and when he had a wee limp I got someone to check his feet for me but that did involve tying him up by his horns.  Thankfully his feet have been ok since then and I will get them looked at again at shearing time. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS