Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame hen  (Read 2155 times)

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
Lame hen
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:25:41 am »
I accidentaly stood on one of the hens feet yesterday and it still can't walk on it. I've had it in a box with feed and drink over night but not sure it's had any. I'm concerned that its leg might be broken. I'm not sure what to do. :-\

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
Re: Lame hen
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:37:50 pm »
No replies - is that bad news?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:52:36 pm »
were is it damaged. there should be evidence of swelling if broken. is it standing on both legs. are you sure you only stood on its feet. if it cant stand on it you can hopr it mends but if its not eating/drinking its in pain. possibly a vets visit. or cull. its your chuck your the only one that can tell. if you know its in pain you have to sort it.

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:33:55 pm »
Thanks shetlandpaul, there is no swelling on its leg but because it is holding it up it has a lump behind its wing. I only stood on its foot but oviously it tried to get out faster than I could move, I'm wondering if it is dislocated it. I'll have to get it sorted one way or another.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:09:16 pm »
if its dislocated then its not going to fix itself. can it move it and does it have full movement you will need to check this or the vet. if its dislocated it maybe shorter than the other. this is one of the things that waiting and seeing is not the answear. hopefully its just badly bruised. but i think if your wanting to keep it then the vet is your best bet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS