Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep has a large teet/ udder?  (Read 6497 times)

pinkvisla1

• Joined Mar 2014
Sheep has a large teet/ udder?
« on: August 14, 2016, 12:41:41 pm »
Owning sheep is never easy there is always something to worry about!
We have 6 of them which helps keep the grass down.
Just noticed 1 has a large udder /teet never seen this before??? She's about 4/5 years old?

We often get a call to collect orphan lambs which I bottle feed and keep.

Last time we were given one didn't think at the time to ask but we were given a male! We were assured he had been castrated and horns had been taken out. But our shearer friend told us he still has 1 testicle!,, and his horns have grown back and I'm worried as its curling near his eye?. Our friend told us Rams are a pain and we should get rid of him!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Sheep has a large teet/ udder?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 01:32:58 pm »
I think you need to ask your friend back          The ewe could be pregnant or have mastitis and need treatment quickly .             The ram has one testicle in  a scrotal sac  ?  and thus fertile or  up inside his body ?  should be infertile .        You cannot dehorn a lamb (its illegal )  but you can now remove the end of his horn to stop it ingrowing .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 02:35:00 pm »
When you say 'udder/teat', which do you mean?  The udder is the whole double milk bag, whereas the teat is the nipple.  If it's the whole udder, then in all likelihood your ewe is in lamb, and about to produce in the next couple of weeks.  If it's just the teat, then that needs to be seen by a vet in case it's an infection or a growth.

If your male lamb really is entire, then all your ewes could be in lamb.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pinkvisla1

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 10:07:46 pm »
She seems fine, I will get a closer look tomorrow and feel if it's hot? I'll have to call the vet out as I've no access to anti boiotics . I've been reading about mastitis and this can be a killer!

My 1 testicle boy has been in with the girls for over a year and no lambs! Thank goodness!! Was assured this had all been taken care of! So shocked to find out he has a testical left! But I guess if his been in with them over a year  and no lambs he's firing blanks (am I allowed to say that)

Wish I'd just kept to ewes but wasn't told until it was too late and didn't like the thought of getting him picked up and slaughtered! With his curly horn heading for his eye do I need the vet to remove this or take the end off?

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 10:11:24 pm »
Has she lambed this year? If not its unlikely to be mastitis - they need to be producing milk I thought to get mastitis.  So it could be pregnancy - has she got a big belly?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:47:40 am »
We had a ram lamb we castrated this summer- turns out he had a retained testicle too up in his groin- vet gave us the option to leave it in or go in and take it out... leaving it in they couldn't guarantee he would be infertile, so we opted to have it removed.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 09:21:52 am »
But I guess if his been in with them over a year  and no lambs he's firing blanks

Doesn't that depend on how old he was when he became fertile though? I mean, could he have been in there for 6 months infertile and 6+ months fertile?

(am I allowed to say that)

Yes  ;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Kinburn 1919

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 09:29:34 am »
if the ewe has had a lamb, she needs to be caught and the side that is inflamed needs to be stripped out ..i.e hand milked, if it is a clear liquid or lumpy sour milk this needs to be done every day, it is also best if this is the case to get anti biotics that come in a tube and you insert into the teat directly, this is the best way to treat mastitis.. if it is mastitis and the ewe survives it will probably be better to cull her after lambs have left her as she will only have one side next year.. and if the rams horn is growing towards his eye you need to get it cut before it does, you will get dehorning cheese wire from the vet or local agri supplier, but only remove enough to make it safe, this is far better than waiting and having a horn growing into its eye... I have seen this and its not pretty , also if it doesn't grow into the eye socket it would likely break the skin and possibly cause a flystrike /maggot problem... which is horrible to say the least..all the best

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 09:31:35 am »
Has she lambed this year? If not its unlikely to be mastitis - they need to be producing milk I thought to get mastitis.  So it could be pregnancy - has she got a big belly?

I had a horse with mastitis who has never foaled.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 11:44:12 am »

Cows can get mastitis when they're dry; I don't know about sheep.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pinkvisla1

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 05:08:27 pm »
 My sheep have never had lambs just pets and keep the grass down. Yes she is a bit fat!! I hope that pesky ram with 1 testicle hasn't made her pregnant!! If so why aren't my other 5 ewes pregnant! ???? I have been with her outside and she seems fine bag by teet is normal colour and not hot. Might have a gentle squeeze later. She is quite big ?? I'm worried now xxxx 

I have someone popping round re the Rams curly horn can they nip the end off or will it still keep growing near his eye.

Always something to worry about thought this sheep caring was easy!!!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 05:18:16 pm »
Why don't you get the vet? You have a problem with your ewe, two problems with the tup and possibly more problems if your other sheep are in lamb! We can't tell from here what is going on but you need to sort it.

Is the someone popping round a shepherd????

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 05:34:44 pm »
re the Rams curly horn can they nip the end off or will it still keep growing near his eye.

The simple answers are 'yes', and 'it depends'.

Were you thinking of keeping the boy long term? If not, then I wouldn't worry about trimming the horn or castrating him properly - I'd just book him straight in for slaughter now.

If so why aren't my other 5 ewes pregnant! ????

I don't wish to worry you as you may well be right, but how do you know that?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 07:36:08 pm »
She could be, but the best thing to do would be the vet to have a look over her and he /she should be able to tell you :) In the meantime I would get rid of the ram, if you're planning on doing so. If need be after the vet has been book in a scanner and see about the other ewes. Lambs in August isn't too bad, if you feed them well and we have a good autumn they should be ready in december, Christmas lamb eh?  :) If its one ewe its not too bad.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS