Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Measuring for weight - how hard can it be.......??  (Read 2947 times)

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
Measuring for weight - how hard can it be.......??
« on: August 16, 2016, 07:07:29 pm »
Hi

Anyone got any tips for measuring weaners for weight? I am getting such huge variations I must be doing something wrong! I have 2 boars and 2 gilts just past 21 weeks. The only way I can measure them is when they are head down scoffing their grub and they stand still long enough for me to measure them. I am fairly confident that I have mastered taking the girth measurement as I get fairly consistent results with it, but as for the length...... I think I am getting an exaggerated length because of the downward stretch of the neck as they feed and this week the smaller of my boars recorded a 5" increase in length and a 10kg weight increase, with both boars estimated to be at 74kg and 80kg LW. See what I mean about a poor technique? The gilts are at 57kg and 64kg. They are Saddleback/large white crosses - your comments etc great fully received..... Ta

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Measuring for weight - how hard can it be.......??
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 09:26:37 am »
I can't help with measurements and sums (numerically dyslexic!) I used to send mine off when they looked good enough to eat!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:32:36 am »
Hard!

Fearings do a weigh tape which involves only taking one measurement. We tested it against the weights from the pig scales and it was pretty close.

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 02:14:10 pm »
Hi Devonlady

Trouble is these are my first pigs so have nothing to compare against! They certainly seem to be big boys so I think I will just grasp the nettle and book them in.......

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 06:01:08 pm »
Usually the girth measurement can give the simplest estimates.
I believe once girth over about 40" that's a pretty good indicator of ready, also fat cover can be important so feeling that they are firmly fleshed rather than fat and squishy or lean and bony over hips and ribs can be useful.
As you say, they sound like you'd be happy to take them in, just keep a note of your measurements and how they feel fat wise and compare to your report of weights and back fat from the abattoir and you'll see how close you were and what you might want different next time.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 06:05:47 pm »
We tried to do the measurements with our first ones last year, in the end waiting until they were nearly 6 months and then needed them off my veg patch so decided it was time. I asked the guy at the abbatoir what he thought and how they compared to the others he had. They were a little on the small side but he said it all depends on what size joints you are after. For us they were actually perfect as there is only the 2 of us to feed so being a little smaller wasn't a problem and it gave us a benchmark for future pigs.

________
Caroline

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 07:43:55 pm »
I believe once girth over about 40" that's a pretty good indicator of ready, also fat cover can be important so feeling that they are firmly fleshed rather than fat and squishy or lean and bony over hips and ribs can be useful.
As you say, they sound like you'd be happy to take them in, just keep a note of your measurements and how they feel fat wise and compare to your report of weights and back fat from the abattoir and you'll see how close you were and what you might want different next time.

I have been regularly testing for condition although not 100% sure of what is the ideal and their sides, back, shoulders and rump are as hard as a rock - can't feel any spine or ribs but there is absolutely no 'give' when I press there albeit the two girls are a bit squidgy under the tail and they all have some excess on the belly. The boys are 39" round the girth so from what you say I would think that by abattoir day - 5th Sept - they will be just the other side of 40". I have reduced their food by 25% to try and shift any excess fat. My notes extend to quite a few pages!!

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 09:51:30 am »
It is hopeless doing the double measurement technique when they have their heads down, because as you say the overall length increases by far too much.   What I used to do was put a small mark on their upper shoulders and measure this length to the tail when they were eating.   Then use a flat plastic ruler, not touching the skin which makes them toss their heads, to estimate the distance between ears and the shoulder mark when their heads are up, ideally being distracted by someone else at the front end offering them something tempting at head height for a few seconds.   The second number will be a bit rough and ready but the addition of the two lengths gives a much better idea of the length number you are after!     Also used to find it very useful, for future reference, calibrating the length and girth measurements I'd taken a day or so earlier with their recorded weight from the slaughterhouse.    Also calibrate your stretched neck measurements with your head up measurements.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 10:20:56 am »
[/quote
I have been regularly testing for condition although not 100% sure of what is the ideal and their sides, back, shoulders and rump are as hard as a rock - can't feel any spine or ribs but there is absolutely no 'give' when I press there albeit the two girls are a bit squidgy under the tail and they all have some excess on the belly. The boys are 39" round the girth so from what you say I would think that by abattoir day - 5th Sept - they will be just the other side of 40". I have reduced their food by 25% to try and shift any excess fat. My notes extend to quite a few pages!!

A reduction in food can cause more weight to be laid down as the animal thinks lean times are coming so it had better conserve fat for later. Much better not to get the fat on in the first place. Your first finishers will always be a learning curve and the next time you get a different breed and that's another learning curve. Your gilts will generally have a slightly different shape to your boars. Yours sound fine. You have a good cross there.  It's good to note size and compare with your dead weight for the future.  Have you got plenty of freezer space or plenty of orders? ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS