Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scotland: Online flock movements etc.  (Read 3365 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Scotland: Online flock movements etc.
« on: August 09, 2016, 10:16:52 am »
Folks, I feel like a total  :dunce: for not already knowing this, but what is the status of the ScotEID online movements system, and how do you use it?

I understand that it's not obligatory (yet!), so I still keep a paper flock book and send all the paper movement documents off to SAMU. However, though our last batch to the abbatoir have appeared automatically on the website, the previous batch didn't. Also private movements on/off don't seem to appear even if the paper copies have been sent off. Should I be entering these myself into the website, or not then?  And if I should, what value am I getting from having to do everything twice?  ???

The same applies for things like tagging of home produced lambs. Do I have to record that in both places, or can I effectively ignore the online system as long as my paper records are up to date?

Sorry to be so stupid!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Scotland: Online flock movements etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:10:21 am »
The system is voluntary. Like you, I keep a flock register and send movements to SAMU.

With cattle, using the CTS (cattle tracing system) is mandatory but I still need to keep a herd register and a manual record of movements.

I looked at the SCOTEID for sheep becasue I thought it would be better than using paper but the info on it was rubbish - some abattoirs had used it, some hadn't - so I'll just stick to paper until I am compelled to do otherwise. I did consider trying to sort out the SCOTEID records but feared opening acan of worms and just giving myself work for the sake of tidiness.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:16:48 am »
Truthfully I think the web interface is pretty good, and I've never had any problems in doing what I need to do on there. The problem is that it's not integrated with the other systems, so that means double-working to keep everything correct.

So if I've started using SCOTEID, do I have to continue with it, or can I just ignore it from now on and continue with my paper version?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 12:27:02 pm »
I'm using the Defra system I guess there are some differences with SCOTEID? 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 04:51:53 pm »
I hope it's more advanced that the welsh one .... I took the electronic movement form (paper printout) to my local abattoir this week and he just looked at me blankly.  Doh.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 08:27:26 pm »
Secondary question: who on earth thought it was ok to buy three (four?) different computer systems to do exactly the same thing in different countries of the UK?  ???

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 10:58:51 pm »
Paper all the way for my goats and sheep! I have never even tried to check what's on ScotEid.... and for the pigs the telephone version works great.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 07:18:53 am »
Oooh  Womble!  It's called devolution you are dicing a merry dance around the edges of a political no go area.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 07:22:38 am »
I'm on ScotEID and find it very easy to use. 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 07:23:41 am »
^ Yes, I agree Caroline. But if you have to keep a paper book as well, what value does it add for you?  ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 10:48:51 am »
^ Yes, I agree Caroline. But if you have to keep a paper book as well, what value does it add for you?  ???

Not messing about with envelopes and stamps, and having (when it's all bedded in, and runs as well as the cattle one does) the security of knowing that the government systems have had and processed all your movements.  Presumeably it will eventually be possible to have the mart do your 'on' movements too, as they can now for cattle.

I've used the English sheep one once, got the, "What's all that about, then?" and still had to do the forms for the abattoir, and have left it until we're forced to use it, by which time hopefully it'll be as widespread as it needs to be.

I still keep my own records for sheep and cattle, because there are inevitably things one wants to record that aren't captured by the government system.  For cattle we use Farm Matters from Lines Mitchell, which is very functional, very useful.  It does do sheep too, but I haven't investigated that yet.  We mostly don't tag until animals leave the farm (apart from breeders we're retaining of course), so it's of limited use to us.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 11:25:21 am »
No, I don't mean 'what value will / would it add if everybody used it' - that's obvious, and as I said before, I think the ScotEID system is perfectly user friendly. I mean what value does it add right now?

I'm still unclear though - do I have to carry on with it now I've started using it, or am I ok to just revert to paper?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 01:53:03 pm »
With the English one I use both, sometimes because the vendor isn't using it when I buy and I happen to have an envelope and stamp handy.  I have found when I do off movements by paper (e.g to shows or on occasions for convenience of a purchaser) the electronic system is updated when they send in the paper. So someone, somewhere is entering the paper entries into a computer so if you d go back to,paper and check the system in a few months time it should all be there anyway.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS