Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep unable to stand...?  (Read 11338 times)

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
Sheep unable to stand...?
« on: August 09, 2016, 09:31:24 am »
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and a newbie sheep keeper and was hoping you might be able to help me please.

I own 6 Shetland cross sheep (this years lambs) some of which unfortunately went down with fly strike a few weeks ago, I've treated them all with crovect and all seemed fine, eating well, bright eyed etc though one of the sheep (jumped?) out of their pen Sunday night and now cannot stand. Is it possible that she didn't make the jump and was hanging/scrabbling for awhile and has pulled something or is there something more sinister going on?

When we caught her yesterday morning to put her back she seemed fine, though, yesterday evening she struggled to get up and this morning couldn't get up at all (I had to lift her), upon standing she appeared very weak in her haunches and could barely walk (left hind being worse)and her head hung between her legs looking very sorry for herself. She was also shaking as if cold (head and shoulders, not full body).
After having a wee and a soft poo she went to sit down again but looked very uncomfortable to do so, so just stood in the corner. I also haven't seen her eat or drink and she's usually ravenous for her sheep pellets.

Could any one please offer some advice? This is the second year we have kept sheep and first time we have ever had any issues.

Thank you in advance.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Re: Sheep unable to stand...?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 04:26:04 pm »
hello there,
not the most practical advice, but if she's no better today I'd get the vet out to check her over - sounds like she's rather miserable, and since sheep are so good at masking when anything's wrong, when you can actually see that they're feeling bad it often means that there's a proper problem to sort out... good luck....

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 04:29:39 pm »
you really need to get the vet to look at her as you will not get a reliable diagnosis over the internet from someone who cannot examine the sheep.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 04:51:59 pm »
Vet without a doubt.  Could she have eaten something which has poisoned her whilst she was on the run? Have you checked for strike again?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 04:56:14 pm »
Vet.

Out of interest why are they in a pen and not a field?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:32:43 pm »
I would get vet out ASAP!!! before she goes down hill further. I am sorry this has happened, it sounds rather serious, she could have picked up an infection..... Let us know how it all goes and I wish you both all the best :hug:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 06:13:37 pm »
Vet, now. If nothing else it sounds like she needs pain killers and anti inflamatories. She could have cracked a pelvis or other bone, they have an amazing ability to cope with pain and injury in the short term.

I really hope it's just pulled muscles or similar. Poor thing.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 07:09:33 pm »
Poor dear! Do you have a sheep farmer nearby? They will not mind being asked and could possibly give an indication of what's wrong.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 09:15:32 pm »
She could have hurt herself or alternatively  / additionally she maybe has still maggots.  That shaking/shuddering is a sign.  I'd yes contact the vet bit straight away I'd check her again for maggots.  They acn make them so poorly they can't stand, and then they can die.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 02:48:10 pm »
Thank you all.

Vet has been out, thinks she's caught herself and pulled something. She's standing up and slowly toddling around.

One of the sheep keeps butting her out the way so I'm going to section her off.

We brought them in from the field and have locked them in because of the flystrike...when we cut their wool away to treat them some of them actually had bald/sore patches where the maggots have got in and I wasn't sure if they would then get sunburnt as a result of being outside...? So thought it best to bring them in, giving the skin/coat a chance to heal...?

Thank you for all your kind help, it's rather daunting when you don't have anyone around to ask (all farmers by us have cattle)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 04:09:24 pm »
Fingers crossed she makes a full recovery. I wouldn't assume your farming neighbours don't know anything about sheep just because they keep cattle. And keep asking questions on here! Where do you live that you have sun?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 05:58:55 pm »
Sudocream on the bald patches will help healing, and if they actually have raw/broken skin patches, clean out with antiseptic wash and then antibiotic spray. They probably should also have had a long-acting antibiotic injection.

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 02:45:06 pm »
Ok thank you and Thank you all for your kind help and advice, greatly appreciated :)

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 02:46:33 pm »
Oh and we're keynsham (between bath and Bristol) the sun is still shining :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS