Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cauliflower ears  (Read 6170 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
cauliflower ears
« on: May 17, 2010, 06:10:25 pm »
has anyone ever heared of this regarding pigs?
one of our pigs seems to have it, the ear has swollen up, it looks like as if it
has been in a scrum!!
looked it up online and said it is caused by bashing each other and biting when playing
or like my pigs fighting at times when it comes to food.
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: cauliflower ears
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:20:30 pm »
is it round the eartag?
could be a bit of infection?

one of our girls has a big tear behind her tag - its still in place, just has a big hole through her ear poor thing
Little Blue

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:29:54 pm »
My pigs don't have ear tags, should they?  ???

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:37:24 pm »
yes.
and their numbers should have been recorded on the aml2 (movement form) from what I remember (whole year ago and lots has happened since then!)
Little Blue

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:59:03 pm »
oursdont have tags since they are only for pork.
we are putting them in when they go off in the trailer.
i know if you are keeping boars and sows for breeding then the need is there.
langdon :pig:
Langdon ;)

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:12:14 pm »
Hi,

We have had this before, it gets worse until you lance it!

Found the following on thepigsite.com for you:

What is commonly know as a haematoma, and should be filled with clearish, blood streaked fluid. This happens for various reasons ie people grabbing the pig by the ear, other pigs grabbing on the pigs ear, etc. This will seem weird to the pig and cumbersome, and the pigs head generally leans to one side, and it will eventually will become very tender to the pig, before it bursts.
Best way to treat them is to lance it with a sow needle(1 inch), and drain all the fluid out. Lance at the base, leave the needle in, allow the fluid to drain, then remove the needle. You may have to repeat this 2 or 3 times, until it discontinues to fill with fluid. Stradle the pig, clamp it between your legs, put your arm under its chin, hold its ear with the other, and get another person to lance it. Very easy if you know how, so have fun!

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Jez

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:03:44 am »
As to the comments or instructions on How to lance a pigs ear, our large black boar (stan) aged 3 years he has a cauliflower ear I would like to see someone straddle him, clamp him between your legs, put your arm under his chin, hold his ear with the other, and get another person to lance it. Very easy if you know how, he stands about 1mt to the shoulder weighs in at 230kgs, and is very placid but watching somebody trying to lance his ear would be hilarious ;D I pay good money to see that!!!!
His ear does not seem to bother him, the vet has said leave well alone unless it does 

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 01:31:39 pm »
We had a weaner like this, I sprayed purple spray and it went down after a few days. No they dont need tags yet, not until you take them to slaughter.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 04:45:59 pm »
ours aint bothered about it either
plus i would love to see someone try that move on ours is well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Langdon ;)

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 09:02:19 pm »
Hi again,

Looks like my previous post caused a tad of amusement :-)

Obviously if the pig is not bothered by it, then let it be, however, I have seen it where the ear does get so swollen the pig holds its head on its side and cant right its head.

When that happens you have to do something, whether it be a 10Kg weaner or a 230Kg Boar, obviously amending the procedure for restraint to suit.

Yes it can be a worrying experience with a large animal, I remember only too well me and a vet in a livestock trailer trying to clip the hoofs of a 200Kg Sow who did not want her nails clipped !

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 11:09:51 pm »
supplies for smallholders - my sow had her toenails clipped last year by my farrier, I rubbed her belly, farrier clipped her nails, while she decided to give birth! It was quite an evening, bless her she didnt care at all, just lay there purring ;D

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 01:23:54 pm »
dixie what the heck is a farrier :D
Langdon ;)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 03:37:29 pm »
dixie what the heck is a farrier :D
Trims horses feet and shoes them etc, or a blacksmith also commonly known as, altho i think a blacksmith does more in making his own shoes etc
Danielle x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS