Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to pigs  (Read 4293 times)

cazz67

• Joined Jun 2008
New to pigs
« on: July 11, 2008, 08:50:24 pm »
Hi

Am thinking of buying a couple of pigs, I have fenced in about half an acre to keep them and have built them a small house to live in.  It's now just a bit of advice on how to keep them please, any advice would be very welcome.  I only have experience of sheep and horses.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: New to pigs
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 08:53:36 am »
Andy Case  "Starting with Pigs".  Adjust the food levels to suit, I dont think he allows enough.  Then again Hilary is not exactly a string bean! 

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 09:24:17 am »
Good fencing - electric preferably! Hilary's right about Andy Case, but it's the best book of its kind by far - the others are gathering dust on our bookshelves. Give the pigs enough food to keep them occupied for 20 minutes twice a day and you can't go far wrong - along with the occasional veggie snack! Find someone nearby who has been keeping pigs for years (try looking up the various breed societies' websites), make friends  - their experience will be invaluable. And maintain a sense of humour at all time. Good luck!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 06:26:39 pm »
And of course the most important part  ENJOY.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS