Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mangalitsas  (Read 15869 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Mangalitsas
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 08:49:57 pm »
Oh what an absolute little gem............~WANT ONE. >:(
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 07:47:48 am »
So do I

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 04:13:57 pm »
For those of you wanting one of these pigs, please see ad on Market place

Thanks
Carole

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 08:40:18 am »
Oh Carole the temptation, but.....  Hilary .....  one day , one day...

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 09:50:12 pm »
any updates on him as I too am thinking of a Mangalitza but as they are so rare I am finding it difficult to investigate the race.
Is he intact or castrated? I ask because you mention his is friendly?

Hi Ben, Have been away for a while & just catching up on all the news, There's been so much going on  :o

Yes, Marley is castrated, he is so very friendly but very greedy & has to be fed separately from the girls or he scoffs their food aswell  ::) ::) We arrived home the other day & Marley decided to burst out of his paddock & have a trample around the place, we only realised when we went to feed them & he met us half way  ;D Still finding his footprints everywhere  ;D He's always the first to greet me in the morning & has never tried to bite me not like the Gossies!!  He's very bright & I think if I spent more time with him he could be more like a dog  :D :D :D
Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 09:07:15 am »
Hi Donna,
Its so good to see you back online. I am so pleased that Marley is well settled and up to tricks!!!!
His brother who we still have ( and is up for sale)  is just as friendly and is looking for pastures new.

Keep us updated please, these pigs are just my favourite!!!

Carole

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 03:33:14 pm »
More Mangalitza news!

Carole and us here in Normandy have just got the go a head for collecting our new Mangalitzas from Eastern Europe.  We have Reds, and Blondes, and unrelated Swallowbellies coming into France.

They are coming to us young, so we wont be able to breed from them until the end of the year, but my goodness are we excited about it.

Watch this space as they say and as soon as our OH's pick them up we can get some pictures on our new website.

You know that feeling of a kid in a sweetie shop, well that is us - it is so exciting!

Kate and Carole  :pig: :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 08:02:05 am »
Am assuming they will be different bloodlines from Pig Paradise?

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 10:15:10 am »
Yes they are.

Haven't been given their numbers yet, that will come with their paperwork, but we are assured that they are different. They are just organising the final paperwork, vet checks etc and then we will be off to get them once I have robbed a bank!

Will post when they arrive.

Kate  :pig:

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 11:01:25 am »
Fantastic news Kate & Carole, I'm so excited for you guys, can't wait to see pictures of them. 
Donna  ;D
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 06:31:50 pm »
Hi ALL,
Iam so excited, plans is that the OHS go and rough it and bring the lush pigs back, Kate is having the posh new colours but I am definatly a swallow bellie mangalitza person. Will post as soon as they arrive, oh and by the way Bob is still available as a pet!!!!!!

Carole

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 09:03:34 pm »
Hi

I have just read this entire thread!

We have 4 adult mangalitza, two blonde sows (who have had piglets 13 in total) a blonde boar and a red boar. I have just tracked down 2 red sows as unreralated as possible in the UK.

We are trying to promote the breed in the uk and they are getting a lot of intrest from locals who stop and watch them for ages.

The price of these pigs in the uk is excessive!

We are selling ours for about 1/3 of the price's we have seen them advertised for! It is more important for us that people start to buy them and breed them than it is to make a huge profit, (although we do need to recoup some of the outlay).

Carole is your new red stock registared? I think I spoke to your other half a while ago.

Mangalitzas are the finest pigs I have ever come acress, freindly, calm and soooooo talkative. They have a huge personality and I cant imagine our place without them now. They love human company and are always out to greet us when we arrive.

I am happy to talk to anyone who would like advice on these pigs, and happy to show anyone our stock, even if they dont want to buy, just meet them in the flesh so to speak.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS