Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Warning to pet owners  (Read 3008 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Warning to pet owners
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:33:28 am »
Just received this e mail.

This could be  deadly to your or your friends' pets:

Please  tell  every dog or cat  owner you know. Even if  you don't have a pet,  please pass this to  those  who do.
Over the weekend,    the doting owner of two young lab mixes  purchased Cocoa  Mulch  from Target to  use in their garden. The dogs loved the way    it smelled and it was advertised to  keep cats away from   their garden. Their dog  (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good   enough  to eat and devoured a large  helping.  She  vomited a few  times which was typical  when she eats something   new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way.  The  next day,  Mom woke up and took   Calypso out for her morning  walk . Half  way  through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.   
Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label,    upon further investigation on the company's web site,   
 this product is HIGHLY toxic to  dogs  and  cats.
Cocoa Mulch is  manufactured by Hershey's,  and they claim that "It is true that studies  have shown that 50%  of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer   physical  harm  to a variety of  degrees (depending on  each individual dog).   However, 98% of all dogs won't eat    it."
*Snopes site gives  the following   information:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp*   
Cocoa Mulch,  which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's    Garden Supply and other Garden supply  stores contains a   lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'. It  is lethal to dogs and   cats. It smells li ke  chocolate and it really  attracts dogs.  They will ingest this stuff  and  die. Several deaths already  occurred in the last  2-3  weeks.
Theobromine is in    all chocolate, especially dark or baker's  chocolate which is   toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean  shells contain potentially toxic   quantities of theobromine,   a xanthine compound    similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline.  A dog that   ingested a lethal quantity of garden  mulch made from cacao bean   shells  developed severe convulsions   and died 17 hours  later. Analysis of the stomach  contents and  the ingested cacao  bean shells  revealed the presence of lethal  amounts of  theobromine. 

Sandy

Re: Warning to pet owners
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:53:45 am »
 :o Our pups and Ben eat all sorts of stuff, we never buy mulch as we have mainly gravel but thanks for the warning, what a shock, they should remove it from the shops or at least put a huge warning as any dog could visit where it's been put or dumped!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »
Fortunately my dogs are not ascavengers and are not usually in other people's gardens but it worries me so i have emailed the company selling it to clarify the matter.  It will be interesting to see if they respond!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:16:46 pm »
How awful for the owners.  Many thanks for the warning James.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:16:27 pm »
I once sat next to Mr Hershey ( The top man whose name I forget) at a birthday party. I'm afraid I rather disgraced myself by argueing with him about his chocolate and the harm it did to the world.
He was so furious that he didn't enjoy his dinner at all. Serves him right if he is responsible for this latest thing.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:16 pm »
thanks for the warning...
after all, whats smells more appealling to dogs than cocoa?!
Little Blue

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:28:23 pm »
ps, passed it on to some german sheperd owners...
Little Blue

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 08:32:58 pm »
Thank you for this warning James.

I don't use compost such as this but others may so you can sleep with a halo over your head tonight for doing a good thing.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS