Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I train Olly the starling?  (Read 6456 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Can I train Olly the starling?
« on: August 03, 2016, 06:52:00 pm »
Olly turned up here in a major storm - thunder, lightning, torrential rain.  He had clearly just left the nest and was soaked through with his feathers sticking up every which-way. He hung around, and still does and is quite endearing, being very gentle and not aggressive to other birds and baby birds sharing the bird feeders.  He's not especially scared of us, and roosts in a honeysuckle by the gate.  He has no mates though, and his parents never visit either.

So are young starlings trainable, say to eat out of your hand?  If anyone has befriended a wild bird like that, how did you go about it?  One set of my grandparents had various little birds which would hop in the window at breakfast time and eat crumbs off the table.  Whilst I don't want Olly indoors, it would be lovely for him to be tame.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Can I train Olly the starling?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:34:35 pm »
I've had a pet magpie and a pet jackdaw, both eventually returned to a fully wild life.

In both cases I brought them in to keep them safe, and fed them, and they became very tame without any effort.  The magpie flew off and established herself as a wild one fairly soon, but still came to visit.  The jackdaw I didn't think would ever leave us, but eventually he did.  He'd been on holiday with us, travelling in the car - we made him a perch, came with us cycling (him flying free), there was even a pub he used to go in with us!   He'd come to a whistle. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:23:40 pm »
I love the idea of you taking the jackdaw cycling Sally  8).  How wonderful.  We have had birds which came to us injured - Crow and JL (Seagull).  Crow went back to the wild once he was recovered, although he would visit every now and again.  JL we took to Camperdown Park near Dundee as he had a broken wing which had set badly, so could never have managed on his own.  I hope they didn't just wring his neck as soon as we'd driven away  :o.  He loved to paddle about in the bath.

Olly isn't injured though, so I would have to attract a free bird.  He is just starting to get his adult plumage, so he's growing fast.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 08:48:44 pm »
Mealworms are universally liked. I think I'd try sitting in a chair or on the doorstep when he's about, and throw a few around for him and over time throw them a shorter distance and then off a palm. Could add in a whistle or something so you'd be able to call him from a bit further

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 09:19:57 pm »
Starlings aren't as capable as most corvids but will be trainable easily i reckon.

I've got a pet Raven at the moment

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 11:59:00 pm »
Mealworms are universally liked. I think I'd try sitting in a chair or on the doorstep when he's about, and throw a few around for him and over time throw them a shorter distance and then off a palm. Could add in a whistle or something so you'd be able to call him from a bit further

I'd wondered about meal worms.  My aunt used to do research with tits - blue and great.  She was demonstrating how the eggs co-ordinated hatching.  That meant there were lots of babies to feed, so as kids back in the '50s my brother and I got to feed them mealworms using tweezers - great fun.
Do you know what meal worms turn into? Where do you get live ones?

I think I'll try your method nutterly-uts - if we get some sunshine to make it bearable sitting outside.  Great idea to add in a whistle - starlings are good at imitating sounds, aren't they. In fact I could start off with the whistle before the worms.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:02:54 am by Fleecewife »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 12:00:45 am »
Starlings aren't as capable as most corvids but will be trainable easily i reckon.

Oh please please can we have a pic?  I know lots of people don't like ravens, but I love them - so intelligent.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 08:17:38 am »

Do you know what meal worms turn into? Where do you get live ones?

I have been breeding them for chicken treats recently (info on another thread) but you can buy them live from ebay. 
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 08:37:38 am »

Oh please please can we have a pic?  I know lots of people don't like ravens, but I love them - so intelligent.
Him at 3 weeks old:

He's met all the cats, through mesh or cage bars at least....

He's mischievious

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 11:47:55 am »
He's wonderful.  I think he's being loving when he nibbles your ear, though those claws look a bit dodgy on bare skin.
Did you find him injured?  What do you feed him?

Cats just love to do that - taunt other creatures when they're behind bars.  We had a tomcat called Polkinghorn who would travel several streets away to where he knew there was a dog shut behind a garden gate all day.  He would pose and preep and rub himself on the gate, knowing the dog couldn't quite get him.  Poor dog would go berserk, which was of course the cats aim  :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 12:02:54 pm »

Cats just love to do that - taunt other creatures when they're behind bars.  We had a tomcat called Polkinghorn who would travel several streets away to where he knew there was a dog shut behind a garden gate all day.  He would pose and preep and rub himself on the gate, knowing the dog couldn't quite get him.  Poor dog would go berserk, which was of course the cats aim  :innocent:

They do indeed.  Grey squirrels used to taunt my cat, who'd lie in wait behind the cat hole (I fitted flaps, the dog removed the flaps, so we just had a cat hole); the squirrels would taunt him from the garden until he made his move - he never caught one.  Then they'd chatter at him from the trees, hurling walnuts at him. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 02:00:33 pm »
He's wonderful.  I think he's being loving when he nibbles your ear, though those claws look a bit dodgy on bare skin.
Did you find him injured?  What do you feed him?

He does like to snuggle up and hold on to my collar or the logo on my t-shirt when he's in an affectionate mood.
The claws aren't so bad now he's older. When he was young and unsure of his balance he scratched me up good and proper! He does grip me but doesn't scramble for purchase anymore.
He's captive bred, i bought him, his name is Dale :)

That's Felix (not our name!), he's our diabetic, dead-behind-the-eyes cat, in this shot he really is just being passive. He wouldn't know how to taunt anything. ha ha

A couple of the cats have had a close call with the beak, luckily they were faster than him

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 07:18:31 pm »
We had a starling (Darling) saved as a naked fledgling and I thought we would have him forever, but one day a flock of starlings flew over and off he went, never to be seen again!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 12:40:21 pm »
Well, Ollie's still here, nearly fully changed to his adult plumage, just his head's still brown.  A few other starlings come into the garden but for some reason they go for him, shove him off the feeder and so on.  He doesn't fight back. Maybe being squabblesome is a starling trait, and Ollie is the odd one out. When flocks of starlings fly past, he makes no attempt to follow them.

I've made no progress taming him, and he flies off if we go too close, but it looks as if he's here for the winter.  Maybe springtime urges will take him away then.  Or maybe we'll have a resident family....

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 08:52:45 pm »
I've rescued lots of little birds over the years, but starlings are the most endearing.  2 I rescued were only a few days old. I didn't think they would survive but keeping them warm and feeding them every 2 hours etc.  I kept them in my bedroom and let them fly around when they were learning.  They used to fly onto my head and peck my head.  One was more friendly than the other.  I called them Soapy & Bubbles.  I eventually put them outside into a little avery. 

The day came to set them free and they flew off into the trees.  For about 3 weeks Bubbles (the friendly one) would fly down onto my head every time I went outside.  I'd put soaked meal worms out for him.  I watched him fly with a group he had joined.  Then he disappeared.  The following late spring I heard a tapping on the window.  I looked out and it was Bubbles!  I went outside and took pics of him - he looked beautiful with his beautiful oily coloured feathers.  He didn't stay long, but I believe he came back to let me know he was fine. 

I will go and see if I can find some pics.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS