Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Building my own mobile home  (Read 5352 times)

HappyBarney

• Joined Aug 2016
Re: Building my own mobile home
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 11:28:41 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I am going to look into this further as I have have been given some conflicting advice.  I was told by the planners that a caravan only has to meet the caravan act requirements.  We plan to build almost to building regs so exceeding the BS for caravans.  The only thing I was told was that the two halves have to be joined on site with roof walls and windows in place, everything else is secondary.  Also that as long as the structure can be moved by splitting it and loading onto a truck it counts as a mobile home.  We already have 2 old mobile homes joined together but they are very old and two small for our family hence wanting to replace.  Still looking into fighting the planners on permission for a house as cannot understand why they say no when others have been given permission.

Either way our old mobile home is fast being outgrown and has seen better days.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Re: Building my own mobile home
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 07:54:37 am »
My experience has been that the planners aren't interested in *how* the building is constructed. As far as they are concerned, in my case, it is a dwelling, it will look like it does on the approved plans, and I will be able to live in it without restrictions. I could have chosen to build a proper house but have decided to build a portable building instead. This is a building control issue, nothing to do with planning whatsoever.

If your permission is specifically for something other than a house, then things may be different.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS