Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rosebay willowherb  (Read 4870 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
rosebay willowherb
« on: July 31, 2016, 09:08:15 am »
Does anyone know if rosebay willowherb is ok for sheep to eat?  I have a customer who has quite a lot of this plant in her pasture, and was warned that goats can bloat on it if they eat too much.
I have absolutely no idea, as we don't have any in our pastures (just in the garden ) so my sheep have never eaten any.
Any ideas?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: rosebay willowherb
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 09:34:55 am »
It's not on the list of dangerous plants.  Could it be cut down, collected and burned?  It won't regrow at this time of year.  One rosebay willowherb seeding will lead to hundreds the next year.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 09:38:53 am »
Mine eat in  it without any problems . I would suggest if animals are bloating its because they re gorging on it ( lush pasture) rather than anything to do with  toxicity of the plant. My solution would be to allow limited access to grazing to allow them to graze it down without pigging out.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 10:03:43 am »
It is one of the best browsings for goats, and my goats get bunches of it every day. I am sure sheep would love it too, especially the traditional breeds. I would start them on it slowly though if they are not used to it.

Some goatkeepers dry bunches of willowherb for winter use, the goats love to crunch on the dried leaves.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 12:41:13 pm »
I'm glad you said that, Anke, because I was sure I'd heard of someone making hay / forage of rosebay willowherb.  We don't have it in our pastures, either, though, so I've no personal experience to pass on.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 03:09:05 pm »
I have loads of it too, sheep won't touch it. Bees love it and it makes an attractive addition to the lane.  Here is some info on it..... Good pollen source for bees! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamerion_angustifolium
http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/rosebay-willowherb
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 11:39:29 pm »
Thank you everyone for your replies - that's great information, which I'll pass on to the lady.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 07:06:26 am »
Had about an acre pf the stuff spread over about 10 acres in two large patches It was increasing year on year. Sheep not very interested in mature plants but the Badger sheep have been in there since Spring and there are no mature plants showing so they must keep it down like they do with brambles.

Regen

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 09:22:25 am »
[member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] I would make absoloutely sure that it is rosebay willowherb before doing anything :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 09:40:50 am »
I rent an 11ac field with 6 acres of it... former horse land so pretty messed.
The sheep didnt let it get going till july when the grass really overtook, they eat the soft bits but wont touch the woody phase of growth.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 02:09:01 pm »
Or Old Mans Beard.  Saw a lot of it in south Wales, rarely wound here, but have recently seen in on the corner of one field, I hazard a guess it's taken after getting in tire treads as people park up there. 

The main trouble maker round here has been himalyan balsam, a big effort has been made to stop it invading further  on to the headland.  And a big avenue cleared, cut back hard. 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 02:59:33 pm »
My goats get free access to some large patches of RWH, but will eat some, wander round eating other stuff then back to WH. Never had a problem with bloat. Looking round neighbouring fields (sheep), i can't see WH anywhere, but plenty on the lane sides.
Himalayas Balsam is a problem round here as well, the frustrating thing is, the advice says don't pull it once it starts to set seed. RUBBUSH! Why let the other 99% of seed develop?
I leave it as long as I can so the bees can have some, then cut it down, don't pull, esp on soft slopes, that only destabilizes the soil. I've reduced the area to manageable amounts, but neighbouring land (sheep) is full of it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS