Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making money from a smallholding  (Read 11350 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Making money from a smallholding
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:50:59 am »
This may have been asked before but I was unable to find anything in the search.

How do you generate revenue from your smallholding? Did you face any complications or issues?
Thanks for any responses

:farmer:

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Making money from a smallholding
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:04:27 am »
Revenue or profit?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 11:10:44 am »
We sell eggs, beef and lamb direct to the public - not on a big scale though. 100 laying hens, about 7/8 lambs and surplus beef plus started selling knitting yarn thsi year.

That's revenue. In a very good year, we might make a small surplus over our costs but it hasn't happened yet.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 01:17:35 pm »
Revenue or profit?
both or either.

I understood that revenue was all money generated whereas profit is just what's left over after expenses

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 01:36:58 pm »
Hi Alex,  I think what Juke's Mum is getting at is that getting revenue (turnover) from a smallholding is relatively easy. However, making a profit is, as Rosemary says, somewhat more challenging!

This report is a good place to start with your thinking though: "Small is Successful. Creating sustainable livelihoods on ten acres or less". HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 05:02:06 pm »
That was an interesting read.
The reason for my post was because the wife and I were looking to start a smallholding where on works an outside job the other would be a stay at home dad/mum maintain smallholding and looking after children.

We have been toying with the idea of a glamping set up mixed with a smallholding

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 06:56:31 pm »
I think both the outside job and the diversity are good things, but I suspect if you've not had livestock/land management experience it could be a nightmare combinong child care, sheep dagging, and welcoming guests  :)
Lots of people seem to make it work though! Whereabouts are you? Humblebee farm near Scarborough has this kind of set up IIRC.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 07:35:39 am »
Well, woman plans and the Gods laugh, but my income will hopefully be coming from lamb sales once I've built up a flock of about 70 ewes (live ones, not as meat - nearest slaughterhouse is a couple of hours away), hay sales (though not this year!), I'm hoping to teach myself to needlefelt so I can turn fleeces into something that fetch a bit more money than the raw wool, and then the biggest moneyspinner, which will be holiday lets in the old croft house once we finish the renovations.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 11:01:23 am »
loads of threads on this topic ........ and general notion is have livestock and don't make money!   A sustainable living if these is  another income is doable as long as everyone is totally on board with 7 day weeks and very long days.   We love it though!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 11:47:42 am »
Yes keep searching.  This topic has been discussed many times, as it's close to smallholders hearts.  People don't always have time to go over the same stuff again because there's too much to do outside, so see if you can find some of the older posts.

We began with both in jobs plus travel so didn't get much done on the smallholding, then we changed with me at home plus grandchild, and Mr F working full time.  That can work, if the one with the job is willing to help with the heavy stuff in the evenings and at weekends, but it's hard going and there's no time for holidays (we haven't had one for 16 years, and that was a sheep conference  ::)) .  As long as you have your health it works, but as soon as there's a problem there you have to readjust your ideas.

As always, start small and build up slowly, with livestock species and with projects, as smallholding takes far more time and work that you think, even once you've been doing it for years you will get caught out.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 01:56:40 pm »
I think the mistake most people starting out make is trying to do everything. Focus on just a couple of things, learn the job until you can do it better than your competitors, and stick at it. It could be a long time before you see a profit. it's like any other business you have to sell what you produce for more than it cost to produce it. Sounds easy, doesn't it.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 02:34:09 pm »
You can achieve a good degree of self-sufficiency if one works outside (full-time) and the other does the holding and children. Just don't underestimate how much time your children will be demanding from you - if you live in the middle of nowhere the drive to school (2x per day), to swimming lessons and library (combined with essential food shopping) - which we found to be the bare minimum of what we felt our kids should not miss out on, easily builds up into hours....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS