Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making hay for the first time - any tips?  (Read 7976 times)

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
Making hay for the first time - any tips?
« on: August 01, 2016, 02:21:24 pm »
So I've gone and bought an old New Holland 370 baler, along with a Vicon disc mower and haybob. The person who I bought the baler off also gave me an old bale grab and sledge which need a bit of work but should do the job.

So does anyone have any tips? Firstly on the equipment side of things but also on the actual process of making hay.

My thinking is find at least 3 days of sunny weather, cut one morning, leave a couple days with a couple run overs with the haybob then bale the 3rd day. Would this work?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm a complete novice. A baler manual is on its way to me in the post.

Thanks.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Making hay for the first time - any tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 03:15:51 pm »
 Yes. that will work beautifully. Should produce some perfect hay. :sunshine:

When you discover how to guarantee the 3 days of sunny weather - perhaps you could let the rest of us know. :excited: :raining:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:36:49 pm »
Depends where you are, what the weather is like, how thick the crop is.  We can very rarely make small bale hay until the 4th day, or later, here, and need to work it every day, sometimes twice.  But if you did that in Yorkshire you'd have nothing but dust!   ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 04:41:42 pm »
We're in very central Scotland and aren't blessed with the best of weather. I think the crop is going to be fairly thick.

I have about 15 acres that I'd like to do but if I can even do half that then I'll be happy. The last couple years a local farmer has cut it for silage and we haven't had so much as a wee bale of hay back in return so I've nothing to loose really. If its doesn't get turned into hay it'll be getting topped.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 05:25:40 pm »
The other thing to bear in mind is how much you can stook in a day, and cart and unload if you need to.  So what BH would do, if we ever had a long dry spell, is cut, each day, as much as we could stook, cart and store in one day.  We have a 17-bale bale carrier, so it's the stooking that is the limiting factor for us.  If we've got hands, we can probably bale and stook 600-800 bales or even more in a day - but if it will be just the two of us, 300-350 is plenty.  (Around 20 heaps.). So that's approx 3ac per day.  If the weather is good and the crop is drying really well, we could do more - but if you're cutting X acres a day, then every day you're baling you also have some to woofle, so again you need more hands to manage more than your X acres a day.

If you've got a large family, and/or good friends who can come and lend a hand after work, you can do more in a day, of course.  Even so, we'd normally do 7 or 8 acres in one day.  Our biggest hay area is 15 acres, and we have baled it in one day a couple of times - but we had two balers then, so we had a spare if one broke down ;).  And we had lots of help.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 05:48:05 pm »
Make sure your equipment is in perfect working order before you need it. There's nothing worse (well there is, but it's annoying) than having that precious weather window while your machinery stands idle.   
Get in a stock of shear bolts for the baler. 
Use jute twine not polyprop, if the string cutter on your baler is at all dodgy.
Get someone to show you how to tell when your hay is absolutely crispy dry.
Don't bale damp or underdried hay.

As others have said, how long it will take depends largely on where you are and the grass you are dealing with, but things such as overnight mist or dew which takes a while to burn off and a lack of breeze will slow you down.

As Sallyintnorth has said, up here we need 5 days to make and bale good hay, longer if it gets rained on  :farmer:

modified:  I've just seen that you are near us, so I very much doubt you will make hay in three days, especially now we are into August.   We are hoping to go for it on Friday.  We know it will be rained on Sat, but then there are a few good days forecast, although not much of a breeze  :fc:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:52:44 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 06:58:41 pm »
 15 acres - in smal bales - that's really testing your family and friends! :thinking:

Small bales are easy to handle for feeding once you've got them. But as Sally has spelt out - they take a lot of getting in. The making and baling the hay is the (relatively) easy bit. But it's carting and stacking it that takes the time. Assuming you've got a limited supply of trailers and tractors, remember you've got to empty a trailer before you can  go back for another load, and if the tractor is pulling trailers then it can't be baling or stacking simultaneously.
 If it were me, then for your first year, while you're working everything out, I'd just do a few acres in small bales and get someone else with a big baler to do the rest for you and take it inside for you. If you get it done in large square bales then it's still fairly easy to feed as it comes off in slices.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 11:22:21 am »
Lots of good points there thank you!

I had planned to use our bigger Landini tractor to do everything, first the baling then the carting in but based on your comments I think I'd be better roping someone else in to have one person baling with the MF35 then use the Landini to get the bales into the shed at the same time. Also on the advice I think I'll just start with the small few acre field next to the house. Saying that the weather is looking good for next week so I may be silly and go for it with the bigger field at the same time.

We only have 30 Shetlands to feed with they hay over the winter and we do have plenty grass and a source for hay if need be so we've nothing to loose really. Fingers crossed the weather stays good for next week  :fc:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 03:27:50 pm »
Lol. My first tip was going to be ... don't :)

If your weather is anything like ours you'll be lucky to get 3 dry days. I think you really need 5.  It might be a good idea to aim for hay, but if the weather turns have a wrapper on standby.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 04:22:03 pm »
We can cut all night .We use a good tracter and a David brown old .I'm thinking about a another tracter old one international or David brown a gain Work at it till its done .Next week looks good with the whether its getting late and spring 3 weeks behind might give us September but autum is not far behind the sighnes are there .

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 05:23:04 pm »
I like your optimism and work ethic VF! Work till its done! That's what coffee and cake is for right?!

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 07:23:50 pm »
Have you put some hay through that new baler of yours to test it ?

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 08:21:57 pm »
No not yet but I'm going to do it in the next day or so. I got it in last night and gave it a blow with some compressed air but it was actually pretty clean. I was able to turn the pto by hand which I though was a good sign. I want to grease everything before I turn it with the tractor.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 08:59:32 pm »
Not sure the MF35 will be man enough for the NH370?  Might swap the two around?

BH uses our MF65 or the 265 for hay bobbing but always the 265 for baling.  Any for carting, though tbh not usually the 65 as we don't need to.

He doesn't use the newer, bigger, 4-wheel drive tractor for baling as it's too much for the baler!  But it can cart, too.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 10:05:25 pm »
I did wonder if the 35 would be enough for it but also did wonder if the Landini (85hp) would be too much. Will just have to try them both and see. The 35 doesn't have a loader which is why I thought use the Landini for carting. The field is fairly close to the shed so would be tempted to just use the bale grab which holds about 20 odd bales to cart them straight in.

Decisions decisions!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS